Skip to main content

A Life More Crafty

Craftiness abounds around here lately. Lots of projects in the works and several more in the planning stage.

First, a quilt update. I've finished piecing the top, and it is gigantic. Humongous. Massive. It's the size of my living room, without any furniture. I was going for large and kind of overshot right into HUGE.
Wedding Quilt Top
This is it on our queen size bed- with thirty inches of overhang on each side.
Quilt Overhang
The only reason it's not all over the floor is that our bed is up on cinder blocks.
Quilt Closeup
I do really like how its turned out, though. I am considering cutting it down a little before I start basting and quilting. Alex and Madison, what do you think? It is your quilt, after all. Do you want a massive quilt or more standard queen size?

In other craftiness, I ordered yarn online for the first time. I was really nervous buying something I hadn't felt or really seen but I love it! It's a Alpaca and Cashmere blend. Super soft and just so much fun to knit with.
Faux Russian Stole Beginning
It's a little more a greenish-blue than it looks like in the photo. I was getting an early start on Christmas presents but I may love this too much to give to anyone.

I've also been sewing. I went to the store to get fabric for an Easter dress for Anna. I came away with fabric for two skirts and an Easter dress. I started with the skirts because they're simpler.
Two Spring Skirts
Way Fun Skirt
I just fell in love with this fabric. A simple elastic waistband and a hem with a little lace trim. Start to finish it took just about an hour.
Three Tier Skirt
The second is three tiered layers. It really didn't take much longer. I love sewing for a two year old. She's so tiny it takes almost no fabric and no time.
Way Cute Skirt in Action

I've also got a commission. One of the ladies I work with (who did the flowers for my wedding) is getting married on April 8th. She picked out the yarn (which is scrumptious) and I am making her a simple shrug to wear over her wedding dress.
Virginia's Wedding Shrug
Depending on how quickly it goes, I may be making some capelets or something like it for her bridesmaids.

And, of course, here's your weekly dose of way cute Anna-
Anna Closeup

Comments

Alex said…
Madison and I say bigger is better. That way we won't have to fight over it when we're watching TV.

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…