Skip to main content

Combating Precious Fabric Syndrome

Anybody else a fan of Mason Dixon Knitting? Love the blog. Love the book. In both, the authors refer to "Precious Knits Syndrome". You know, you spend so much time making something that you want to wrap it in tissue paper and store it in an acid free box and never ever touch it. Never been my problem. I make something- I want to use it every single day. So that every single day I can say to myself "I made this. I am so awesome."

I think, however, I am suffering from a different syndrome. Precious fabric syndrome. Or, PFS. Where I buy a fabric and love it so much that I'm afraid to ever use it. I can't possibly imagine something I could make that would be good enough for this wonderful fabric. And heaven forbid ever cutting into it.

Case in point.
Precious Fabric Syndrome
Months ago I feel in love with the little blue birdy prints. I used it in potholders with the Relief Society ladies. I used it in my brother's wedding quilt. I bought enough to use as a backing for another quilt. I also bought a precious yard to use specifically for a dress for Ellery. And there it sat. I hemmed and hawed over patterns. I decided on Miss Lilly from The Handmade Dress. But, I was terrified to begin. I avoided it. I started other projects.

The pink fabric was bought only a week or two ago. But it was in danger of the same fate. I knew I wanted to make a dress for Anna. What pattern could possibly be good enough for this lovely, elegant pink? Another Miss Lilly? Something from Weekend Sewing.

This weekend I decided to confront my PFS head-on and get to sewing.

Ellery in Miss Lilly
Friday and Saturday, I worked and made a little blue birdy dress for Ellery. I used the Miss Lilly pattern, but did just a normal gathered skirt instead of the bubble skirt. I am well pleased with everything but the fit. It's too big for her. But only a little. In another couple of months it is going to be absolutely adorable.

Well, I was on a roll. So Sunday I cut out pattern pieces and today I sewed the dress for Anna.
Anna in Miss Lily Dress
Anna in Miss Lily Dress
Anna in Miss Lily Dress
(Anna was not in the mood to have her picture taken.)

Another Miss Lilly. Once again without the bubble skirt. This time with a wide fabric sash. I love everything about it. The fabric. The pattern. The fit. It is exactly as I imagined it. So very Jane Austeny.

Take that PFS.

Comments

Kathryn said…
I LOVE these dresses. They look so cute on your girls. I especially love the sash on Anna's dress.
Meg said…
You are so brave. A year ago I bought 2 yards of the Most Beautiful Fabric Ever. I can't decide what to do with it. I worry about making clothing out of it because what if i mess up? It sits.

The dresses are really cute. It looks like E is walking now! Congrats!
Doris said…
Oh, I most definitely suffer from PFS... Seems silly to buy something 'cause you love it so much then be afraid to use it. But it's true. I do. and I am.
Leslie said…
your dresses are beautiful. I need to confront my PFS head on as well. There are so many stacks that i am afraid to go near but loved so much i had to have.
Ling said…
The dresses are so beautiful. I too suffer from PFS and I'm taking inspiration from you to do something with mine.

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…