Skip to main content

Playing CatchUp

Blogging is proving to be a bit of a hurdle with no computer at home. I've written to Santa though and with his help and relatives help, that situation should be remedied next month. In the meantime, I'm just throwing together blog posts whenever I can go into work a few minutes earlier or work long enough to get a lunch break.

Here is what I have been working on lately-

The Birds and the trees quilt. Mentioned quickly a few days ago that I was posting this one for sale on Etsy. Hasn't sold yet. There are also fabric bundles for anyone who would like to make their own.
Birds and Trees Quilt
This quilt came about because of my obsession with bird and tree themed fabrics. It's pretty much the only kind of fabric I let myself impulse buy- I know I will always find a way to use it. Almost every quilt I have ever made has had a little bit of bird fabric in it somewhere.

And, I'm not done with these fabrics yet. I started throwing together some improvisational log cabin blocks with a baby quilt in mind.
Birds and Trees Log Cabin Blocks
Brendan commented that they just weren't very babyish. I've come to agree. Now, I picture them more in a little girl's room. Maybe for Anna's first big girl twin size bed sometime relatively soon. They've kind of moved to the backburner. Instead I started cutting out squares for a scrappy nine patch baby quilt. Something quite like the pink one I have for sale on Etsy right now- but with all the birds and trees fabric. I'm excited to see them start coming together. I think it will make for a beautiful baby blanket.

And the toys that the blog almost forgot-
Tiny Toys
I finished the bear and the bunny just a couple of days after finishing mini-Anna. They disappeared pretty much as soon as I sewed on the last limb. In fact, most of the time I was knitting them, Anna was right there watching and asking if they were done yet. I just re-found them as a part of a massive room clean-up and reorganization.

Comments

Meg said…
Love the new quilt! Those dolls are adorable.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Kathryn said…
I LOVE the birds and trees quilt! If I had $50 lying around somewhere I would totally buy it. Unfortunately, I don't. :(
marianne said…
So great, Trina, you are so talented! Are you taking orders for the dolls?
Lillabilly said…
Hi!

I bought your birds and trees quilt!!! - It's for a special hamper of items for my very best friend who is expecting her baby boy next April. The hamper will be made up only of handmade items (to support the handmade revolution) with a bird theme, so your blanket was perfect!! So far I have some awesome Etsy goodness and some beautiful items from my local markets. I also plan to add my own framed modern bird/tree watercolour ( I must get busy with that!)

And I have to say that I think it's perfectly ok to have quilts which don't look "babyish" - there are many people out there who don't want things which are cutesie and baby-like for their little ones. They are just looking for something stylish for a room which just happens to belong to a baby. It's very hard to find things like that. I've also found in my search that gorgeous unisex items and or "boy" items (which arn't all farm/jungle or cars) are very hard to find too!

Anyway, I am really looking forward to receiving your beautiful quilt, I just know my friend will adore it!

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…