Skip to main content

Anna's Caterpillar Quilt

As promised- sunlit pictures of the third finished Caterpillar quilt. Missed the first and second? They can be found here and here. I want to take a picture of all three of them together. It's going to have to wait, though. Ellery is currently napping with hers.

Third Hungry Caterpillar Quilt
This might just be my favorite of the three. I like its simplicity. I like the green sashing. I love the little fussy cut food.

Hungry Caterpillar Quilt Closeup
Hungry Caterpillar Quilt Binding
Hungry Caterpillar Panel

I decided to do free motion quilting on this one- all in loops and swirls- kind of with caterpillar tracks in mind. The binding is the same solid dark green I used on the third quilt.

Hungry Caterpillar Quilt Backing
Anna's favorite part? The butterfly panel on the backing. There was no way I could not include it in Anna-the-butterfly-fanatic's quilt.

This quilt came together really quickly and easily. I used this pattern- the crib size. Since I made this pattern four times over for my MIL's Christmas Quilt, there were no surprises. I'm only another repeat or two away from having the pattern memorized. And I like the pattern enough that might just happen. I think its incredible versatile and beautiful. The hardest part was choosing which fabric went where. Especially since I was trying to use up leftovers from two (three if you count the quilt I cut up) other quilts. I am pretty proud of myself. All three quilts came from a single twin size quilt kit. There's almost nothing left of it.

So, two projects down- eleven left to go.

Comments

Melynna said…
I love the butterfly on the back! You could tell the story with the front and then have a surprise ending.
I love the butterfly. It's a cute touch. The green sashing looks great too.
Joybeth said…
Beautiful, as always.
Katie B. said…
I love this quilt! I bet your little girl does too. The pattern is great--I really like the thin sashing.
balloongal said…
Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Love the butterfly. Also love the dark green.
carmel said…
i love love love that quilt!!!
wow!!!
looks super great!

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…