Skip to main content

Christmas Crafting Report #1

Teal Modern Rose Garden Quilt

I tried to limit myself to just one handmade Christmas gift this year. One huge, gigantic handmade Christmas present rather than tons of small projects. Just after Christmas last year, my MIL asked if I would make her a quilt. I agreed and she bought a whole heck of a lot of fabric for it. Usually, with a project that big, I would have started in June or so. But, in June, we had no idea what was going, where we would be living, etc. July and half of August were spent packing up all our belongings and living/traveling with various relatives. The rest of August and most of September were spent finding an apartment and unpacking our belongings. Before I knew it, it was the first of October and nothing had been done on this quilt. Well, I got my little hiney in gear.

The pattern I choose was Modern Rose Garden available on Etsy from CarolinaPatchworks. One problem- the quilt pattern was available in a crib size or lap quilt. No queen size. I had my heart set on this pattern, though. So I bought them both. I ended up using the crib size pattern. I expanded it so it used fifteen fabrics instead of five. Made two full versions and two almost full versions of the pattern- shuffling what fabric went where in each. I took my four sections, flipped them around, rearranged them and ended up with a quilt somewhere around 80 inches by 100 inches.

And that was the easy part. Really. I started washing and cutting fabrics the first weekend in October. I finished the top in about a month- pretty dang quick for that big of a quilt.

Then the curse began. I bought a dark blue sheet to use as the backing. I ran some hot water on a corner. Squeezed it out with a paper towel. No dye showed up on the paper towel. I thought it would be safe to wash with Ellery's extra special, irreplaceable blankie. Yeah, it dyed it blue. Ellery didn't seem to mind though.

Then came the basting. Brendan helped. It didn't fit in the kitchen so we pinned it out in the living room. I showed him my extra special technique for not pinning it to the carpet. I kept reminding him to check that he wasn't pinning it to the carpet. He pinned it to the carpet. Almost every single safety pin. Fixable.

Then came the quilting. I just plain wore out a darning foot. I had been using it a whole heck of a lot. I went looking for a new one. The first place didn't have one but they recommended another foot that might work. It didn't. Went someplace else. Found one just like the one I had been using. Somehow, I broke it the very first time I tried sewing with it. I have no idea how. The thing just snapped. There were pieces of darning foot and broken needle flying everywhere. I have never broken a foot on a sewing machine before. Never heard of anyone else breaking a foot. Went to a third store. Found another foot for about double what I had paid for any of the others. Bought it anyway. Drove by a vacuum and sewing machine repair shop on the way home with the overpriced foot. Stopped and went in. I figured it couldn't hurt to have a spare after all I had gone through. They had a beautiful all metal darning foot. For less than I had paid for any foot so far. Bought it. Used it. It was wonderful. So, trying to quilt this one little quilt, I broke two sewing machine feet, bought a total of four new feet, returned two feet (the wrong one and the overpriced one).

DSC_3069
DSC_3068
DSC_3067

But, I finished it. In plenty of time for Christmas. The post office did not lose the package (but did batter it a bit). Ellery's blankie is almost back to its original shade of white. Brendan's mom loves her quilt. I am definitely the favorite daughter-in-law (it helps that I am the only daughter-in-law). Overall, a success.

Comments

Jenny said…
your quilt looks fantastic ... i'd never seen this pattern and it's just gorgeous! what a story to this quilt, huh?
Sherri said…
It looks beautiful on my bed but my room is a bit more cluttered than yours so it doesn't showcase as well. I love it. I hope you have some fabric left over to do some smaller quilts for your Etsy store because the fabrics are wonderful together.
debbie said…
awesome quilt! Wait, I'm supposed to be working on amending our 2007 Utah tax return. Why am I commenting on your blog? lol
tammiemarie said…
beautiful. and amazing how fast you finished it! what kind of machine do you use?
Katie B. said…
Gorgeous. What a gift for your mother-in-law! I'm sure she appreciates your efforts.
hoganfe said…
Love that quilt!
mary
hoganfe handmade
handbag originals
Sarah Camilla said…
Stunning, my friend!!
balloongal said…
That is quite an adventure.
wow that is gorgeous! I love thte colors & fabrics,a ndthe stitching..I guess that means the whole thing, right!

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…