I tried to limit myself to just one handmade Christmas gift this year. One huge, gigantic handmade Christmas present rather than tons of small projects. Just after Christmas last year, my MIL asked if I would make her a quilt. I agreed and she bought a whole heck of a lot of fabric for it. Usually, with a project that big, I would have started in June or so. But, in June, we had no idea what was going, where we would be living, etc. July and half of August were spent packing up all our belongings and living/traveling with various relatives. The rest of August and most of September were spent finding an apartment and unpacking our belongings. Before I knew it, it was the first of October and nothing had been done on this quilt. Well, I got my little hiney in gear.
The pattern I choose was Modern Rose Garden available on Etsy from CarolinaPatchworks. One problem- the quilt pattern was available in a crib size or lap quilt. No queen size. I had my heart set on this pattern, though. So I bought them both. I ended up using the crib size pattern. I expanded it so it used fifteen fabrics instead of five. Made two full versions and two almost full versions of the pattern- shuffling what fabric went where in each. I took my four sections, flipped them around, rearranged them and ended up with a quilt somewhere around 80 inches by 100 inches.
And that was the easy part. Really. I started washing and cutting fabrics the first weekend in October. I finished the top in about a month- pretty dang quick for that big of a quilt.
Then the curse began. I bought a dark blue sheet to use as the backing. I ran some hot water on a corner. Squeezed it out with a paper towel. No dye showed up on the paper towel. I thought it would be safe to wash with Ellery's extra special, irreplaceable blankie. Yeah, it dyed it blue. Ellery didn't seem to mind though.
Then came the basting. Brendan helped. It didn't fit in the kitchen so we pinned it out in the living room. I showed him my extra special technique for not pinning it to the carpet. I kept reminding him to check that he wasn't pinning it to the carpet. He pinned it to the carpet. Almost every single safety pin. Fixable.
Then came the quilting. I just plain wore out a darning foot. I had been using it a whole heck of a lot. I went looking for a new one. The first place didn't have one but they recommended another foot that might work. It didn't. Went someplace else. Found one just like the one I had been using. Somehow, I broke it the very first time I tried sewing with it. I have no idea how. The thing just snapped. There were pieces of darning foot and broken needle flying everywhere. I have never broken a foot on a sewing machine before. Never heard of anyone else breaking a foot. Went to a third store. Found another foot for about double what I had paid for any of the others. Bought it anyway. Drove by a vacuum and sewing machine repair shop on the way home with the overpriced foot. Stopped and went in. I figured it couldn't hurt to have a spare after all I had gone through. They had a beautiful all metal darning foot. For less than I had paid for any foot so far. Bought it. Used it. It was wonderful. So, trying to quilt this one little quilt, I broke two sewing machine feet, bought a total of four new feet, returned two feet (the wrong one and the overpriced one).
But, I finished it. In plenty of time for Christmas. The post office did not lose the package (but did batter it a bit). Ellery's blankie is almost back to its original shade of white. Brendan's mom loves her quilt. I am definitely the favorite daughter-in-law (it helps that I am the only daughter-in-law). Overall, a success.