Skip to main content

Not My Finest Hour

So, this afternoon was supposed to be a relaxing little trip to the laundromat. I know, a relaxing trip to the laundromat. But, its true. No kids. Just me and the free WiFi. I was going to catch up on reading blogs, write a blog entry of my own about my finished quilt top and maybe even order some fabric online. Instead, I locked my keys in the car. I blame the maternity clothes. Why do almost no maternity clothes have pockets? Anyway, between juggling the laundry basket and my keys and no pockets- I and the laundry basket ended up outside the locked car. No keys. Aargh. So, instead of a little relaxing laundry. I ended up wandering the strip mall, asking to borrow a cell phone. Called Brendan- no answer- left a message describing my predicament. I wandered back to the laundromat, really hoping that Brendan had heard the cell phone and was even then sending help. Then I noticed a couple of police cars. I went over to ask my friendly neighborhood police officers if they could maybe help. They could not unless there was a kid locked in the car. Why didn't I take the effort to lock one of my kids in the car? Turns out my friendly neighborhood police officers were in the middle of arresting someone for shoplifting from the dollar store. I guess I could have been having a worse day. The girlfriend of the guy being arrested, for example, was definitely having a much worse day than I was. I swiftly returned to the laundromat. I borrowed someone else's cell phone and found out that Brendan had indeed gotten my message and help was on the way.

So, I have been rescued. My laundry is washing away. I've read blogs. I'm still debating ordering that fabric or not. I think I just may deserve it. I am starting to relax. But, I haven't really told you the most embarrassing part yet. It's laundry day. Every week I can wear fewer and fewer of my clothes thanks to the advancing baby belly. During this whole adventure I was wearing my least favorite skirt ever- denim and very unflattering, a non-maternity T-shirt with bleach stains all over right where it's stretched to the max over my belly, blue socks and tennis shoes. No jacket, sweater or sweatshirt because the ones that still fit really needed washed. I look horrible. The girlfriend of the guy being arrested was dressed better than I am. She had a sweatshirt, at least. Really, all I needed with me was my kids in their laundry day worst with snotty noses. That would have been the absolute epitome of pitifulness.

To completely change the subject, I did finish the cheeky monkey quilt top.
DSC_0124
I love almost everything about it. I taped it up on my living room wall Just so I could admire it for a few days.
DSC_0125
I only wish my yellows were brighter. But, this is what I had so this is what I used.
DSC_0127
(Thanks quilt holders) It came together very quickly and easily. Which is good, because I haven't had much time or energy to sew lately. I think I spent maybe two hours on Sunday cutting and starting to sew. Maybe an hour on Monday. An hour on Tuesday to finish sewing all the blocks. An hour on Wednesday to put all the blocks together. I'm going to start sewing the second tomorrow. That one will probably take significantly longer since I will be photographing and writing a tutorial as I go.

Comments

Melynna said…
Yay! That's a sweet quilt. Also, I congratulate you. It takes courage to not only wear gross-looking clothes while pregnant but also to admit to forgetting to lock a child in the car. Such lack of foresight!
Jennifer said…
Poor Trina! I DID lock my child in the truck last week... I stood there for 15 minutes trying to convince her to open the door like she had earlier in the day (while we were driving) but she didn't want to because right before I shut the door, I told her to NEVER open the door again. There weren't any cops around, just older ladies coming in and out of Joann's that looked at me funny.

Maybe you should make some laundry pants - with lots of pockets =)
balloongal said…
You are so talented.
I'm sorry that you had that rough experience. And seriously- what is the deal with maternity pants without pockets?
ezeldabeth said…
i never understood why any pants would be made without pockets, but it always especially irritated me that maternity jeans were pocketless! i just love your quilt, so bright and colorful...i wish there was an ikea closer to me...i would certainly need to make a copy-cat quilt...thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…

Christmas Gifts #1

Most of October, November and December were consumed by secret Christmas craft projects. It's such a relief to finally be able to blog and Instagram about them without worry. It's going to take a couple of blog posts to get through them all.

 First up, my woven projects. I made two scarves- one for my father-in-law's Christmas Eve birthday. Since he bought me my Cricket Loom for my birthday, it was only fitting I weave him something for his birthday.







The second was a super soft and hopefully super classy plaid scarf for my sister-in-law. It was really difficult to pry this one away from Ellery after our little photo shoot. The girl definitely has an appreciation for my handcrafts- especially the soft and cozy ones.