Skip to main content

In Which I Have A Lot of Excuses

Sorry for the lack of posting lately. It's not because of a lack of things to post about. Our lovely two and a half month old laptop is broken. Yeah, not happy about that one. The connection where the power cord plugs in is actually broken inside the laptop. It's off at the repair center right now. Plus, at any given moment at least one person in the family has been sick for about the last month. I am so looking forward to a time when there is not a single person sneezing or barfing. Hopefully soon. And, I can't get the computers at the library to do anything at all with my pictures. Anyway, blah blah blah whine whine whine. But, I am here now at work with a computer and an hour lunch break. So, let's get caught up, shall we.

First- cute kid pictures.
DSC_0132
Let's all say it together- ahhhhhhh.
Jumping on the Bed
DSC_0134
Hey, what's that Anna's holding? Could it be a finished project? I do believe it is.

Sleepy Puppies
I am such a sucker for handmade toys. Really. Anna flips through my books or sees something while I'm online and asks me to make it. I drop everything right then and start it. I love that she asks me to make her toys and that I can. I think she might just be taking advantage of that, though. There were two dogs in the picture- so she had to have two dogs. Both dogs had blankets of their own so her each of hers had to have a blanket all their own.
Sleepy Puppies with Quilts
Not that I really mind, though. She has played with them for hours and hours since they were finished. And it gave me a chance to run with some of the inspiration from Liberated Quiltmaking.
Dog Quilt #1
Dog Quilt #1 is made with liberated square in square blocks. The backing is just plain blue and the binding is actually just the backing folded over and machine sewn down. It was so much fun to just kind of go crazy and experiment with the blocks.

Dog Quilt #2
Dog Quilt #2 is just simple 2 inch squares. I love the colors and fabrics I ended up with on this one. I may have to make a blue, black and white baby quilt next. For the back, I went back to Liberated Quiltmaking and made a house block.
Dog Quilt #2 Backing
Dog House
I had a simple dog house in mind but somehow ended up with a cottage- with two dogs patiently waiting for their master to get home, a bird on the roof, a window box and border gardens. I like it. Anna likes it, too. She's been telling me stories about the dogs and the house.

I've also got a sneak peek for you of what's currently on my fancy schmancy design wall.
Fancy Schmancy Design Wall
And by fancy schmancy design wall, I mean the living room wall between the recliner and the TV, of course. More and more things find themselves taped up there for a day or so while I admire them.
Birds and Trees on Design Wall
I have finally finished all the blocks for a birds and trees improvisational log cabin quilt. I love everything about them. Seriously, best thing I have ever made. (Yes, I know I say this about every finished project) I'm going to try and finish the quilt itself next week and maybe even post a tutorial on my method for making the blocks. All depending on the level of sickness in the household next week.

Comments

Sarah Camilla said…
I love your blues and greens in the upcoming quilt!! I also love the "simple" doghouse. I'm getting excited about pulling out my machine soon to whip up some design harbored in my crazy little head. Thanks for the inspirations.
Leserlee said…
I love the colors. I have to say that your birds and trees fabrics is part of what inspired my quilt, although, sadly, I could not find any bird or tree fabric at the store that matched my color palette. :( Maybe next time I make a king size quilt for my bed I will find something. Or maybe I'll be able to find some to make pillows. Or maybe make something for my craft room. Whenever it gets finished (hopefully in the next year).
Gwendolyn said…
I love how the dog quilts turned out! It's fun for me to see since you started those while I was there. I am thankful to say that I did not get the wonderful sickness our girls had that week.
balloongal said…
Love it. Love it. Love it.
Me said…
I want a puppy!

Popular posts from this blog

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…

Christmas Gifts #1

Most of October, November and December were consumed by secret Christmas craft projects. It's such a relief to finally be able to blog and Instagram about them without worry. It's going to take a couple of blog posts to get through them all.

 First up, my woven projects. I made two scarves- one for my father-in-law's Christmas Eve birthday. Since he bought me my Cricket Loom for my birthday, it was only fitting I weave him something for his birthday.







The second was a super soft and hopefully super classy plaid scarf for my sister-in-law. It was really difficult to pry this one away from Ellery after our little photo shoot. The girl definitely has an appreciation for my handcrafts- especially the soft and cozy ones.