Skip to main content

Housework vs Homemaking

DSC_0564

I didn't set out to read "The Gentle Art of Domesticity" by Jane Brocket. I had read some good reviews for her new book "The Gentle Art of Quiltmaking" and was actually looking for it. Neither of the libraries I use had it, though. So, I filled out a suggestion for purchase form and took home her first book to tide me over.

I am so glad I did.

I was enjoying it- digging the spectacular photos of crafty projects. And then I read this:
"The only way to knit a sock in the round is to keep coming back to your starting point, But, almost imperceptibly, progress is made. It's a pattern, yes, but its not really a circle, it's a spiral and all the stitches and rows, like days and weeks, are linked to form an unbroken chain. We can think we are getting nowhere with the cyclical nature of domesticity, and yet all the time, as with sock-knitting, we are moving on to a new stitch or a new day and then, suddenly, a whole new row or color or, as in Tom's case, a new shoe size."
It was an absolute revelation. One of those moments that changed how I look at everything.

Wow.

You see, lately I have been getting very frustrated with housework and being the mom. Cleaning the same dishes over and over. Picking up the same toys. Washing the same laundry. Over and over and over again- for the next eighteen years or so. That whole "cyclical nature of domesticity" she refers to can really be a downer.

But, I've been looking at it all wrong. I've had the wrong goal in mind. The goal is not clean dishes, clean clothes or even a clean house. That goal just leads to frustration because it will always get dirty again- rather quickly in a house of full of small children. The goal should instead be making a home. Housework will always be a necessity. It just has to be done. But, homemaking is entirely different. It's all about building a safe, comfortable, spiritual place where we can all enjoy time with one another. Where we can all grow and develop talents. It's a delicate balance, housework has to be done but it also can't be allowed to get in the way of homemaking. So, while the dishes have to be done, I'm going to try and be less grumpy about it. And, if I want to stop in the middle and build a fort with the kids- that's great.

And there was an added bonus to reading this book. I rediscovered the quilt that kind of started my whole quilting obsession.
DSC_0565
I guess I was reading her blog- yarnstorm- years ago for knitting reasons and found a picture of this quilt. I love it. I remember printing out the picture and putting it in my crafty book. I couldn't get it out of my mind and within a little while I was buying fabric for my first serious quilt. Which was black and white. Hmmm...I still have never done a red and white quilt. I may need to remedy that very soon.

Comments

Jenny said…
You're so awesome, Bean! I just love you!!! Thank you for passing on this inspirational thought.
balloongal said…
Great insight. Thank you so much for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…

Christmas Gifts #1

Most of October, November and December were consumed by secret Christmas craft projects. It's such a relief to finally be able to blog and Instagram about them without worry. It's going to take a couple of blog posts to get through them all.

 First up, my woven projects. I made two scarves- one for my father-in-law's Christmas Eve birthday. Since he bought me my Cricket Loom for my birthday, it was only fitting I weave him something for his birthday.







The second was a super soft and hopefully super classy plaid scarf for my sister-in-law. It was really difficult to pry this one away from Ellery after our little photo shoot. The girl definitely has an appreciation for my handcrafts- especially the soft and cozy ones.