Skip to main content

Obsession

Are there levels of obsession? Is it possible to me more or less obsessed? If it is, I am more obsessed than usual. I know, hard to imagine. But, I just feel this overwhelming need to get some projects finished and off of my crafty desk. There are several reasons. First, I'm completely healed from Samuel's surgical entrance into the world and I know this super sleepy newborn phase is only going to last for so long. I want to take advantage it while I can. Second, our entire life is up in the air. I really don't know where we'll be or what we will be doing by the end of the summer. I should be starting to clean the apartment, purging the unnecessary and packing the non-essentials so we can be ready to up and move if need be. Instead, I'm procrastinating and rationalizing that every project I finish is really one less thing to move. Third, I'm considering a really large project and I want to finish up and get things out of the way before I dive into that.

So far, I have obsessively knit and finished a second blue hat.
DSC_0547
This one fits as it should. I like it so much that I am now planning on making two more- a purple one for Anna and a green one for Ellery. They would probably be for Christmas so no hurry there.

I have also finally pulled out all the finished blocks for a second Cheeky Monkey quilt. Pieced them together into a finished quilt top. Basted it. Quilted it and attached the binding.
Quilting the Cheeky Monkey Quilt
Just a little handsewing, a quick wash and this one will be ready for my Etsy shop.

I also have been working on a yet unblogged project. I finished all the cutting, pieced the inner I Spy blocks, went shopping for border fabric, sewed the borders on and finished the quilt top, basted it and am now ready to start quilting it.
Another I Spy Quilt
Much more info to come on this when it is actually finished.

All of this within about the past week. Yep, obsessed. And if it weren't for work, demands of my messy house and messier children and the need to shop for and celebrate father's day- I would probably spend all weekend happily at the kitchen table with a Pepsi and some snacks finishing these two projects and maybe a getting some work done on a few others. I bet I'll manage to find some time, though, to work on them. That's how an obsession works, after all.

Comments

Leserlee said…
I love the Cheeky Monkey quilts. It makes me wish I were a kid again so I could have one. I would be interested in it for Bryant, if his room weren't decorated in robots. But at some point that boy is going to need a real bed, and I'll have to move him out of the crib (with toddler rail on the side) and then he'll need a new quilt because the crib size one will be way too small.
balloongal said…
I personally think you are very talented with all the things you are able to handle- kids, husband, work, crafties, etc. etc. etc.

Popular posts from this blog

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…

Christmas Gifts #1

Most of October, November and December were consumed by secret Christmas craft projects. It's such a relief to finally be able to blog and Instagram about them without worry. It's going to take a couple of blog posts to get through them all.

 First up, my woven projects. I made two scarves- one for my father-in-law's Christmas Eve birthday. Since he bought me my Cricket Loom for my birthday, it was only fitting I weave him something for his birthday.







The second was a super soft and hopefully super classy plaid scarf for my sister-in-law. It was really difficult to pry this one away from Ellery after our little photo shoot. The girl definitely has an appreciation for my handcrafts- especially the soft and cozy ones.