Skip to main content

A Quilt for Daphne

While I was off work recovering from Samuel's birth, the daughter of one my co-workers was diagnosed with Leukemia. Her name is Daphne and she is about a year younger than Anna. I immediately wanted to do something- anything for her and her mom. I thought about it and just could not imagine trying to keep a sick three year old entertained. So, I started a quilt because its kind of what I do. A quilt is always a good idea. But, I wanted a quilt that could not only snuggle a three year old, but help keep her entertained. So, decided on an I Spy Quilt. I didn't think my fabric stash was quite up to task, though, so I asked for fabric donations from three other quilters I work with. They donated some wonderful fabrics. Word got around what I was doing and everyone wanted to help. So, they donated money to buy all the thread, batting and the border, backing, binding fabric. I really do work with wonderful people.

Anyway, enough with the words. On to the pictures.
I Spy Quilt
The quilt measures 57" by 87"- large enough to cover a twin size bed or to snuggle with mom and dad.
I Spy Quilt
There are 150 different blocks with everything from Elmo to fried eggs. Mostly they are randomly placed but there are a few I could not resist putting together.
Gnomes and Fruit
Garden gnomes and fruit.
Cat and Goldfish
The Cat in the Hat and goldfish.
Karate Monkey and Bananas
Karate monkey and bananas.

Hopefully, there's plenty to find, count and tell stories about. Let me tell you- cutting out 150 squares from one fabric takes about half an hour. Cutting out 150 squares from 148 different fabrics takes forever! About a week's worth of naptime crafting. Once the squares were all cut, the rest of the quilt just flew.
Daphne
It's hard to see, but I quilted her name along the border in one spot.
Quilt Label
On back, there's a label with the signature of everyone who contributed.
Border and Binding
The border and binding fabrics are pretty much my new favorites. I am definitely headed back to the store for more. I may do an entire quilt based around the red and white print.

Helper Girl
And I just can't resist including this picture of Ellery "helping" with the quilt photography.

So that's Daphne's quilt. What do you think?

Comments

Meg said…
You amaze me. Daphne is one lucky girl.
debbie said…
Trina, that is wonderful. I love that you don't sit around thinking about what you could do to help- you just do what you do best! Quilt!! I bet she and her family will love and cherish the quilt and all the love that went into it.
Jennifer said…
That's amazing! I am sure that quilt will bring a lot of comfort to that sweet girl.
Katie B. said…
What a beautiful quilt for Daphne! I know she (and her parents!) will find a lot of comfort in it.
Leserlee said…
A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Such a great idea. So sad for such a little girl.
Ann said…
I have to say that this whole post sort of choked me up. I love the I Spy idea for the quilt, and it turned out beautifully!! I'm sure it will be loved and snuggled in by the whole family! Way to go, Trina! You're a good example of compassion put to work!
balloongal said…
I knew you were doing this quilt, but I didn't know about all the contributions to it. Wonderful people. Quilt looks wonderful, too.
marianne said…
Trina, what a great example you are to me. Your kindness and charity is limitless. This quilt will forever bring love and comfort.
Beautiful! What a cool idea Trina!
Amy Sorensen said…
Trina, I've been peeking in on your blog since you had your little boy...admiring your work from afar! Had to log on today to say how beautiful this quilt is. Great job! Wish I had known you were doing it, I would have contributed too! Of course...149 different fabrics? Sounds like you had plenty! ;)
dailydaph said…
Yeah, you're all jealous of Daphne, we can tell. We don't blame you either. Daphne loves her quilt. She finds so many new things each time she looks at it. Mommy has the best co-workers ever.

Thanks so much Trina. For the thoughtfulness, the work, and making the rest of us look bad. I guess this means I should really get off my butt and get something done.

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…