Skip to main content

Grumpiness Averted

Today is trying really hard to be a grumpy sort of day. The kids all have runny noses and an immense case of the whineys. Brendan and I are both flirting with sickness. Nobody's really gotten enough sleep. The littlest things are seeming insurmountable. And I need to budget and balance the checkbook. I hate budgeting and balancing the checkbook. But, there are some things which are keeping this day from being an utter, awful waste.

1. I made yogurt. Really, I took some milk and purposely cultured bacteria in it. Crazy, huh? I don't think the idea would have ever crossed my mind if I hadn't read online about so many people doing it and loving it. There are lots of reasons, it seems, to make your own yogurt. It's cheaper, for one- way cheaper. Plus, you can control what goes in it- no preservatives or high fructose corn syrup here. But, that's not why I did it. I did it basically to be able to say that I had made my own yogurt. It's not a quick process- I started at 2 pm yesterday and it was done just in time for breakfast. But, it is a very hands off process. It took about ten minutes to get it started- then eight hours of sitting on the counter on a heating pad. Then I moved it to the fridge overnight in a pot, colander, cheesecloth contraption to make a very thick and creamy Greek yogurt. Easy.
DSC_0118
This was my breakfast. Fresh strawberries. Homemade yogurt. A generous drizzle of honey. Homemade granola. Really, its yummy enough to be a dessert. It's hard to be grumpy on a day that starts off so good.

2. The fabric I needed to buy anyway was on sale for 53% off. So, I will be able to sew two little fancy dresses for cheaper than I could buy them.

3. My new glasses finally came in.
DSC_0120
It's been five and a half years since I had new glasses. Everything is so much clearer! Hopefully, this will mean fewer headaches and less eye strain. And, they're purple. Hooray!

4. Brendan has his Improv comedy group tonight. Happy for him because there wasn't one here when we moved. He's started it and it seems to be going great so far. Happy for me because I plan on putting in a movie for the girls, putting Samuel in his swing and crafting without guilt.

5. I got to briefly talk to my best friend ever this afternoon- something I don't do often enough. It was great to talk to her and hear some exciting news. Exciting news which will, of course, inspire some craftiness. Plans are already brewing.

Comments

balloongal said…
Oh, it is so good to hear all the pleasant things. We've been dealing with a bit of sickness ourselves as well. Annoying, and yes, the kids are being extra whiney, too. Good for you for focusing on the positive. Way to go.
Suzanne said…
I like your new glasses!

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…