Skip to main content

Staying Sane

Here's the thing- I've just moved to an entirely new place where I know no one. I'm a little too shy, awkward and obsessed with crafts to make new friends easily. I've gone from a part time job I loved to being a stay at home mom. I've left behind my favorite grocery store, bakery, fabric store and park. It's a big huge adjustment and some days I feel like I'm barely hanging on. Like today. So, I thought I'd make a list of the things keeping my sane currently.

1. Zen Zone
DSC_0077
The rest of the house can be an absolute disaster (and usually is) but as long as I have one clean, peaceful, pretty space- I'm OK. Someplace I can sit quietly, read, and drink my afternoon Pepsi is all I need.

2. Convenience Food
DSC_0878
DSC_0877
Sure it may make a nutritionist roll their eyes, but some days Lunchables and Capri Suns can be an absolute lifesaver.

3. Bright Colors
DSC_0870
Who can not be cheerful looking at colors like these?

4. My Family
DSC_0875
Yeah, pretty much goes without saying.

5. The Public Library
DSC_0768
Of course, nothing is ever going to compare to the library I used to work for. I have some severe gripes with how my new public library is organized. But, its still a public library which is a great thing. Access to great books for free- you just can't beat that.

6. Knitting
DSC_0841
This has been the perfect stress relief knitting project. The pattern's hard enough to keep my thinking about it rather than worrying about other things. But, its not so hard that it feels like a burden. Even the color is restful. I may only get five minutes a day to work on, but those five minutes are wonderfully relaxing.

7. Thinking About Someone Else For Awhile
DSC_0076
DSC_0068
It really is true. The best way to stop feeling sorry for yourself is to think about someone else for awhile. More on what these projects are and who they are for tomorrow.

So, that's my list of Happy things for today. What about you- what keeps you sane and happy when things are rough?

Comments

Jennifer said…
I read. I don't read many "thought provoking" books for the simple fact that it's my escape. And now that I've taken up crocheting and knitting, that ranks pretty high on the stress relief scale. I love to sew, but it's not as convenient for me.

And you would probably keel over dead if you saw the library here in Sherwood. It's pretty worthless, other than a convenient place to have other branches send books for me to pick up =)
craftytammie said…
you sound like me three years ago, when we moved and i left behind a routine and day to day that i loved (it included weekly trips to two libraries, one in lawrence and the other in topeka). i still miss so many things, and i still don't know many people here, but i'm doing ok. the first year was tough. right now, when my hubs is working tons, i escape into dumb facebook games and blog hopping - not very productive!!
Me said…
I think this is a good list you have here.

One thing we did after moving away from the Happy Valley (and maybe this is something you guys do already) is putting the kids to bed early, between 7 and 8, giving ourselves a few hours of uninterrupted quality time every night. It's been so great, why did we never do this before?

Another thing that we have been doing a little less consistently but it helps me so much is once a week Daddy takes the kids for a couple of hours during the day leaving me to workout or watch a girly movie or attempt to quilt or whatever I want without interruption and feeling pressured to hurry through. This helps keep my patient levels from following lower than I like during the week.

Sorry, that was long.

Popular posts from this blog

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…

Christmas Gifts #1

Most of October, November and December were consumed by secret Christmas craft projects. It's such a relief to finally be able to blog and Instagram about them without worry. It's going to take a couple of blog posts to get through them all.

 First up, my woven projects. I made two scarves- one for my father-in-law's Christmas Eve birthday. Since he bought me my Cricket Loom for my birthday, it was only fitting I weave him something for his birthday.







The second was a super soft and hopefully super classy plaid scarf for my sister-in-law. It was really difficult to pry this one away from Ellery after our little photo shoot. The girl definitely has an appreciation for my handcrafts- especially the soft and cozy ones.