Skip to main content

Today's Adventure (plus a sneaky craft project)

Tomorrow my big girl Anna will be five. Hard to believe, isn't it? Today we celebrated.

Anna took care of the cake. She chose the cake and frosting. She picked which candies she wanted for the top- Jelly Bellies, Swedish Fish, Gummi Bears and a few Jelly Babies pilfered from Brendan's stash. She took the job very seriously.
DSC_0197
DSC_0198
DSC_0200

Her new friend from school, Lisa, came over to play. No photos with her because I find it a good idea not to post pictures of other people's children on the internet without their permission. But, there was a lot of purple, a lot of giggling and a lot of fun. With three little girls, present opening was over almost before it began. She got quite the haul and was thrilled with it all.

DSC_0226
New bike from us and new outfit from my parents. Finally, no more knees hitting the handlebars when she rides! Her only request was that her new bike have a basket for putting puppies or toys in.

DSC_0227
To fulfill the handmade gift requirement (she's gotten at least one every birthday and Christmas of her life) I made a kid sized messenger bag. I had something more involved planned- turned out to be too time intensive and expensive to finish for her birthday, but it will be done for Christmas and will be awesome. Anyway, I figured she could use the bag to carry things to school instead of her giant backpack. Plus, it can be used as a baby doll diaper bag or a mailbag when she plays mailman.
Mermaid Messenger Bag
It's blue corduroy with a stripe of mermaid fabric on the flap.
Messenger Bag Open
It also has a big mermaid fabric pocket under the flap and as the lining. It's the perfect size to hold a standard notebook. She, of course, hasn't touched it since unwrapping it. But, that's to be expected with so many new toys to play with. Tomorrow we'll load it up with some fun things to take to church and the crafty lady inside me will be satisfied.

Thanks to my lack of cake removal skills, it developed a bit of a fissure by the time it was time to blow out candles.
DSC_0214
Oh well, it didn't effect the taste at all- which can only be described as sugar overload.
DSC_0221
Anna got all the candles in one blow.
DSC_0222

And, of course, there were balloon hats.
DSC_0208
DSC_0212

All in all, it was a very good birthday celebration, even if we didn't get to spend it anyone we really know. We'll just have to make do until we get to visit family and friends next month.

Comments

veryterry said…
Wow...good job getting your pictures up so fast! Thanks again for inviting Lisa. She had so much fun and can't wait to play with Anna again. I would love to get together to do some crafting some time as well. Talk to you soon!
p.s. If you do want to post pictures in the future that Lisa may be in, that would be ok with us. :)
Sarah Camilla said…
You are missed and admired from afar. Love the crafty things you are doing and posting. I hope you find a morsel of time to visit Orem Library when you come and that I am there when you do!
Adam & Gwen said…
Hey Chloe and Anna have the same bike now! I am sure when Chloe sees this post though she will want a basket also though. :P Glad it was super fun and that Anna has a new playmate. We need to find one for Chloe, she is still too much into the hanging out with adults. There seem to be a few good ones in her primary class so maybe I will get to know their parents. Can't wait to see you guys soon!
balloongal said…
Of course there were balloon hats.

Popular posts from this blog

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…

Christmas Gifts #1

Most of October, November and December were consumed by secret Christmas craft projects. It's such a relief to finally be able to blog and Instagram about them without worry. It's going to take a couple of blog posts to get through them all.

 First up, my woven projects. I made two scarves- one for my father-in-law's Christmas Eve birthday. Since he bought me my Cricket Loom for my birthday, it was only fitting I weave him something for his birthday.







The second was a super soft and hopefully super classy plaid scarf for my sister-in-law. It was really difficult to pry this one away from Ellery after our little photo shoot. The girl definitely has an appreciation for my handcrafts- especially the soft and cozy ones.