Skip to main content

Life's Little Curveballs

I started off the week thinking "My life is in control. I can keep the house clean, the dishes done, everyone fed and dressed and happy and even have a little time to myself. I am the woman!" Well, Life took a look at me and thought "How dare you think you can control me, you insignificant little worm. Take this!" Life's mean like that. This week life threw sickness at us. Ellery started the week with a cold. Samuel started with what we thought was a cold. Then he started running a fever and it was all downhill. My primary job this week was sick, miserable baby holding. He cried whenever I put him down- day or night. I think I averaged about four hours of sleep a night this week. Finally, this morning the fever broke for good and he broke out in a rash. It was a relief. I now know what he has- Roseola, and that it's almost over. Ellery's cold is gone. Anna still has a cough but I can deal with that. The house is a mess, last night dinner's dishes still need done, the kids are all still in their pajamas but I am starting to feel optimistic again.

DSC_0192
Progress on the girl's quilts has been understandably slow this week. I basted them on Sunday night and Monday morning. In a normal week, I could have had all the machine quilting done by now and be moving onto the binding. This week-ten minutes at a time, I've managed to finish the bulk of the quilting on Ellery's. I still have to free motion quilt the large border. Haven't touched Anna's at all. That's OK- there is no deadline on these. They'll get done when they get done.

DSC_0155
I did manage to make Anna's day before sickness hit. I went to put some yarn away in the bin and found three partially done blankets. They got abandoned when I switched over to quilting as my primary hobby. I stared at them for a while, admiring their yarny goodness and wondering if I would ever get the motivation to finish them. Then I realized- they were perfect doll blanket size. So, they became Anna's. They've been well used this week.
DSC_0189
DSC_0188
DSC_0187
It's nice to see them out of the yarn bin and being put to good use.

Comments

veryterry said…
Trina, you seriously amaze me! We, too, have been dealing with the sickness (Lyra with non-stop runny nose and cough) and I have not done one bit of sewing. I hope everyone gets well soon at your house. Those crocheted blankets are SO fun!
balloongal said…
Sickness is not fun. We've also been dealing with it this week. Hope everyone gets feeling better soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…

Christmas Gifts #1

Most of October, November and December were consumed by secret Christmas craft projects. It's such a relief to finally be able to blog and Instagram about them without worry. It's going to take a couple of blog posts to get through them all.

 First up, my woven projects. I made two scarves- one for my father-in-law's Christmas Eve birthday. Since he bought me my Cricket Loom for my birthday, it was only fitting I weave him something for his birthday.







The second was a super soft and hopefully super classy plaid scarf for my sister-in-law. It was really difficult to pry this one away from Ellery after our little photo shoot. The girl definitely has an appreciation for my handcrafts- especially the soft and cozy ones.