Skip to main content

Back on Track (I hope)

So, it's been eleven days since I started coughing. I wouldn't say I'm healthy yet but I seem to be most of the way there. I've only coughed two or three times today. Nothing like the soul-sucking exhaustion and horrible coughing fits where I couldn't catch my breath that gave me sore chest and stomach muscles. Ugh.

And, a couple of weeks later than hoped, I've finally finished the girl's new dresses.

Anna's Miss Mary Dress 
 

Anna's Miss Mary Dress

Anna's Miss Mary Dress

Anna's Miss Mary Dress

How grown-up does Anna look in that last picture? My goodness. I see my future and it involves a lot of late nights waiting up and worrying while she is in high school. Anyway, back to the dress. The pattern is available here. It is one of my all time favorites. Simple to make but so elegant. No zippers, no buttons and if you use french seams to sew the skirt panels together like I do, then all the seams are nice and neat and enclosed. The fabric is from Denyse Schmidt's line for JoAnns.

Ellery's Miss Mary Dress

Ellery's Miss Mary Dress



Ellery's Miss Mary Dress

I love Ellery's last picture, as well. It is so very Ellery. Silly and full of energy. Yeah, not much luck getting her to hold still.

Now, at least one of you is probably thinking, "Hey, Ellery's dress looks really familiar and not just because it is the same pattern as Anna's." Yes, yes it does. I made her one just like it at the beginning of the summer. She outgrew it rather quickly which made me sad because I loved it. So, I made her another one exactly like it but two sizes bigger. Why not? I had another chunk of the fabric that I was planning on making a quilt backing with. Something else will just have to go on the back of that quilt.

These pictures have me thinking about something else. Why the heck did I just pay 43.50 for school pictures? That last picture of Anna's would be great to have copies printed to send out to relatives. And it would have cost me a whole lot less. I think in future years, I'll just set up my own little photo shoot with each kid instead or paying for the school's. Assuming, of course, that Ellery learns how to stand still.

Comments

Adam and Gwen said…
I need to pay you to make dresses for Chloe and Grace! I love the dresses you make the girls!!
balloongal said…
Once again, gorgeous dresses. And oh my goodness, how beautiful your girls are (and a handsome little boy, too).
Sarah Camilla said…
Two very lucky/blessed girls and onevery adoring mama! Gorgeous work in both sewing and photography!

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…