Skip to main content

Mini Me's

It's all my fault. I'm the one who took them along on trips to the fabric store. And, on one of those trips, Anna wandered away from the toy area and found a Hello Kitty sewing machine. I could hear her squeal of joy from across the store. There was no stopping her then. "I want it! I want to learn to sew on my very own Hello Kitty sewing machine." I explained that I was not buying her a sewing machine. She might not even like sewing. I would give her sewing lessons- first hand sewing and then on my sewing machine. If she liked it and stuck with it, then we could talk about a sewing machine eventually. Then I realised, "Oh crap. I just promised a seven year old sewing lessons. I have no idea how to teach a seven year old how to sew." Luckily, along came this book-


DSC_0138

I saw it reviewed on a couple of blogs and it seemed like just what we needed. Santa brought it this Christmas and it was indeed exactly what we needed. Lots of kid-friendly instruction. Lots of basic projects. An emphasis on hand sewing. It's great.

First up were some little pillows.


I'm not sure this family is ready to support a second crafty habit.

I expected her to give up after about two minutes. But, she completely surprised me with her dedication. And with just how much she enjoyed it.

DSC_0134

She made the blue pillow first for her doll. Then, in the kind of move designed to make mothers tear up, she made a pink, heart-shaped pillow for her sister.


Next, she wanted to make a skirt for her doll. She started out hand sewing but that didn't work out great. So, it took up space in my crafty room for weeks. Then, there was the local quilt show. Brendan was asking me about it afterwards, including what categories there were. I was listing them when Anna perked up. "Youth. Does that means kids had stuff in the quilt show?" I told her yes, there were a few kids who had made quilts for the quilt show and that there's a kid's category for the crafts at the county fair, as well. Next thing I know, Anna and Ellery are dancing around me singing "We want to make quilts for the fair!" I told Anna she had to finish her doll skirt first but that I would help her use the sewing machine to do it.  I picked out the stitches and introduced her to my brand new sewing machine.


First sewing machine lesson


It went way better than I expected. No yelling. No tears. It really helped that my new sewing machine has adjustable speed. I turned it all the way down and it made it a much less scary process for both of us.


Finished doll skirt


Notice the look of pride. And the threads stuck to her shirt.

Ten seconds later, both girls were diving into my (MINE!) fabric stash, planning doll quilts and insisting we start them right now. They had them both finished within a week.


DSC_0118


Ellery picked all the fabric for hers, showed me how big to cut the squares, arranged them and worked the sewing machine petal while sewed I them together and quilted it. I think her color choices are fabulous.


DSC_0114

DSC_0116

She was so proud that she took it preschool to show it off to her teachers.


DSC_0121

Anna picked out the fabrics for hers, showed me what size to cut them, arranged them (with my suggestion of the white borders) and did most of the sewing with me sitting beside her.


DSC_0125

Not too shabby for their first quilts

DSC_0139


Next up, they're planning skirts for themselves. Then maybe some aprons. And, I might even help them plan and make larger quilts this summer. Something big enough for them to cuddle up with. We might even enter them in the fair.

Comments

balloongal said…
Oh, man. They are picking up some really awesome things from you (especially the making things for others- so sweet, like you). Keep up the good work.

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…