Our family has welcomed a new member-
After a year or so of putting up with tension problems and skipped stitches on my old sewing machine, I finally decided to invest in a new machine. It was on sale and I had a store credit from making a display quilt, so really, I had to. And, after a week, I love it passionately. It is wonderful. It needs a name, though. Brendan's been calling her Yeardley because of a too obscure to even explain inside joke. I'm not sure it's the right name, though. Any ideas?
And, let me tell you, it has been a busy week for me and her (whatever her name is).
Right out of the box, I threaded her with some handy red thread, I grabbed a scrap of fabric, which happened to be white, and tried her out. Including all those fancy stitches which you use in the first week and then rarely use again.
Hmmm...that's pretty cool looking, I thought. I thought about it some more. Then, that led to this-
Anna's Easter dress with some fancy stitches around the hem and on the bodice.
Unfortunately, it gets lost in the fabric print. Oh well, I'll use more contrasty thread next time. Also, next time I draft my own pattern pieces, I'll be sure to label them. Somehow, I ended up turning the bodice piece sideways on the fold and ended up with a much taller, narrower bodice than planned. I was only saved by the fact Anna is so scrawny. It takes some squirming and some help to actually get the dress on but she swears it's comfortable once it is on.She absolutely loves the dress, in fact.
Then, we took the lessons learned about contrasty thread and labeling pattern pieces and moved onto Ellery's Easter dress.
No missing those fancy stitches.
I overreacted to Anna's dress being too small. This one, even after taking in a couple of inches, is just a little too big. It doesn't help that the only red shirt I could find was in the boy's department. It's really loose fitting, the dress is really loose. It's cute, but if it fit better it would be absolutely adorable.
What about Sam, you ask. Well, Sam is an almost three year old boy. I was going to make him a red bow tie. But then, last Sunday I lost the fierce tie battle. I decided it would be better not to even start the bow tie battle. It could only end in tears. So, I made him an adorable vest from the leftovers of the one I made Brendan. I thought he'd love it. He would look just like daddy. He hated it. I managed to get it on and buttoned Easter morning. He immediately unbuttoned it, took it off, and ran off to hide it before I could put it on him again. So, no pictures of the vest.
Stubborn little monkey.
So, to sum up Easter- three cute kids, one too small dress, one too big dress, and one vest which may never be worn (and was a bit too short). And one husband gone most of the day driving his little brother back home. I would be really depressed if I hadn't also managed to made another block for my new wall hanging this week.
Two more big star blocks to go. I've got to hustle my bum on this one. It's already entered into a quilt show in a couple of weeks. So, no matter how much I'm craving a new project or another try at a simple sundress for Anna- I'm off to make some more string blocks.