Skip to main content

This Week's Sewing



Our family has welcomed a new member-


DSC_0057


After a year or so of putting up with tension problems and skipped stitches on my old sewing machine, I finally decided to invest in a new machine. It was on sale and I had a store credit from making a display quilt, so really, I had to. And, after a week, I love it passionately. It is wonderful. It needs a name, though. Brendan's been calling her Yeardley because of a too obscure to even explain inside joke. I'm not sure it's the right name, though. Any ideas?

And, let me tell you, it has been a busy week for me and her (whatever her name is).

Right out of the box, I threaded her with some handy red thread, I grabbed a scrap of fabric, which happened to be white, and tried her out. Including all those fancy stitches which you use in the first week and then rarely use again.

WeeeeeHoo! Playing with my new sewing machine.

Hmmm...that's pretty cool looking, I thought. I thought about it some more. Then, that led to this-


DSC_0036

Anna's Easter dress with some fancy stitches around the hem and on the bodice.


DSC_0039

Unfortunately, it gets lost in the fabric print. Oh well, I'll use more contrasty thread next time. Also, next time I draft my own pattern pieces, I'll be sure to label them. Somehow, I ended up turning the bodice piece sideways on the fold and ended up with a much taller, narrower bodice than planned. I was only saved by the fact Anna is so scrawny. It takes some squirming and some help to actually get the dress on but she swears it's comfortable once it is on.She absolutely loves the dress, in fact.

Then, we took the lessons learned about contrasty thread and labeling pattern pieces and moved onto Ellery's Easter dress.

DSC_0048

No missing those fancy stitches.

DSC_0032

I overreacted to Anna's dress being too small. This one, even after taking in a couple of inches, is just a little too big. It doesn't help that the only red shirt I could find was in the boy's department. It's really loose fitting, the dress is really loose. It's cute, but if it fit better it would be absolutely adorable.

What about Sam, you ask. Well, Sam is an almost three year old boy. I was going to make him a red bow tie. But then, last Sunday I lost the fierce tie battle. I decided it would be better not to even start the bow tie battle. It could only end in tears. So, I made him an adorable vest from the leftovers of the one I made Brendan. I thought he'd love it. He would look just like daddy. He hated it. I managed to get it on and buttoned Easter morning. He immediately unbuttoned it, took it off, and ran off to hide it before I could put it on him again. So, no pictures of the vest.


DSC_0030

DSC_0027


Stubborn little monkey.


DSC_0043

So, to sum up Easter- three cute kids, one too small dress, one too big dress, and one vest which may never be worn (and was a bit too short). And one husband gone most of the day driving his little brother back home. I would be really depressed if I hadn't also managed to made another block for my new wall hanging this week.

DSC_0059

Two more big star blocks to go. I've got to hustle my bum on this one. It's already entered into a quilt show in a couple of weeks. So, no matter how much I'm craving a new project or another try at a simple sundress for Anna- I'm off to make some more string blocks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…