Skip to main content

Princesa Quilts


Another two quick and easy projects to add to the tally.

Princesa Quilts

I completely blame these two quilts on Facebook. You know how it is with college roommates- even when you've fallen out of touch, you still love them to death. Well, thanks to Facebook, I still know exactly who's getting married, who's pregnant, and all other sorts of major life changes even if I haven't spoken to them in years. So, one former roommate is having her first baby- a little girl. And another is having her second baby- also a little girl. Now, I love baby boys and all but there is just something about baby girls that gets me. All that pink! And tiny floral prints. Awwww. Well, I started thinking about what sort of quilt I would do for those two little girls, if I just happened to have the time and money for supplies. Well, you know where that leads- searching through my favorites on Flickr and Pinterest. And then there was no stopping me. I had decided on a design and started pulling scraps and even started sewing before I had decided for sure I was actually making them quilts.


These quilts were so much fun to make! It's just one giant wonky log cabin block. I just went around and around, adding scraps and strips until I had enough for a baby quilt.


DSC_0307

DSC_0304

I didn't have to buy any fabric at all for the tops. It's all from my scraps and stash. It would take an obscene number of quilts to even put a dent in my scraps. I think they're multiplying.

Princesa Quilt

Princesa Quilt


I did buy the backing and binding fabrics, but baby quilts really don't take much.


DSC_0303

DSC_0308

What's that, you ask? Those funky triangles in the corner? Well, any old school video game geeks (like the soon-to-be parents) know just what that is.

Quilted Triforce


It's a triforce from Legend of Zelda. I may have giggled a whole lot while piecing that. I pretty much love it. The one without it is just named the Princesa quilt (the Dad is a native Spanish speaker). But, this one- this one is named the Princesa Zelda quilt. I think I'm funny even if no one else does.










Comments

balloongal said…
I like it. Princesa Zelda quilt.

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…