Skip to main content

Two Very Long and Tedious Projects

Like I mentioned, my girls want to make quilts. And doll quilts just aren't going to cut it. They want quilts big enough to snuggle under. Quilts to enter in the county fair. They're obsessed with the idea. It's all I've heard about since school got out. So, last week I (and I fully deserve a medal for this) helped them get started.

I gave them some options-  simple patchwork, simple checkerboard. Nope. They wanted to look at one of my quilt books. So, I gave them the one I thought would least likely lead to my own emotional breakdown- Sunday Morning Quilts. I thought the scrap-using, improvisational nature of these quilts would work well with kids. They loved each and every quilt in the book. After much back and forth and mind changes, this is what they've decided on.

Ellery is making the Up, Up and Away quilt.


DSC_0313

But with much bigger base squares and triangles. We've got a system down which is working really well for her skill and interest level. She picks a color scrap bin and pulls twelve scraps out of it. I trim them to roughly triangular if need be. We chain piece them to 12 4.5" squares- either with me guiding the fabric and her working the sewing machine petal or with her guiding the fabric and me working the petal. She cuts the blocks apart. I press and trim the blocks. She puts them up on the design wall. We get twelve blocks done in under half an hour and she's back outside playing before it becomes too much of a chore for either of us.

DSC_0314

We worked on it Thursday, Friday and Sunday and she's got 36 blocks to show for it. If we're going for a twin size, we'll need somewhere between 250 and 300 blocks. We'll see how long her enthusiasm for the project lasts.

Anna chose the Candy Coated Quilt. Really, not much surprise there. It's pink and red and has candy in the title. Perfect for a 7 year old girl.


DSC_0311


We spent Thursday with her pulling long strips out of the scraps bins and me cutting them into manageable sizes.


Getting started pulling scraps.


Friday she started sewing them together, which is a much more complicated process. She's actually sewing them together by herself. Putting together the fabric, guiding them through the machine, working the petal, fixing her own mistakes, the whole nine yards. It's a little nerve-wracking for both of us. It's takes just about all the restraint I have not to just jump in and do it for her. But, it's only been two days and she's making definite improvements.


She takes it very seriously.

I cut all her fabric and do all the pressing. Definitely not ready to set my 7 year old loose with a rotary cutter or hot iron.

57" by 10". 5 more inches and she's got one whole row done.

After two sessions at the sewing machine, she's almost got one full strip! If their enthusiasm lasts, we might actually have finished quilts by the time the fair rolls around.

These are both quilts that were on my "To Make" list. Ellery's in particular I love. I've already decided to make a queen size version just as soon as we're done with hers. Heaven forbid we mix up her squares and my squares! So, I have a confession- I'm having a very hard time not working on them myself after they go to bed. I'm excited for these quilts, too. I want to see them all snuggled up under them.




















Comments

balloongal said…
This is so exciting. I'm excited to see how they turn out.

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…