Skip to main content

What Three Days of Sickness Gets You

So, Brendan and I have both been struck by this weird sickness. It reminds me of having morning sickness. I spent the last three days just being queasy. Never to the point of throwing up. Just feeling yucky. And the more I was up and moving around, the yuckier I felt. So, I spent three days camped out on the couch watching every episode of Stormchasers on Netflix. And crafting, of course. I seem to have a lot of handwork projects going on right now- some embroidery, some knitting for bunnies- but they were all scattered throughout the craft room. I did not feel up to searching for patterns, stitch markers or the right size needle. So, I grabbed the one thing that seemed all ready to go. My English Paper Piecing Kit.

Quilt Kit


And I got more done in three days then I've probably done in the past year.


quilt


I made six blocks from start to finish. Ok, I know six blocks in three days doesn't sound all that impressive. But keep in mind, these babies are completely hand stitched. My goal when I first started this project over two years ago was two blocks a week. Six blocks in three days is monumental!


DSC_0315

I also attached my six blocks (plus five other blocks that had been gathering dust in the craft room for months) to all my other finished blocks. Yeah, sounds easy but it took hours and hours of stitching. They brought the grand total up to 61 finished blocks and gave me a nice rectangle 63" by 42" or so. It's also given me hope for actually finishing this project. And maybe even reasonably soon. As I figured it last night, I need 24 more blocks, along with a five inch or so border, to make a twin sized quilt. Only 24 more blocks! That sounds like a completely reasonable and obtainable number of blocks. If I could keep up the pace I was on, I could have those blocks done in 12 days! Unfortunately, that is in no way realistic. There are dishes to be washed and laundry to be done. Walks through rose gardens to be taken and other crafts calling my name. But, I am determined not to let this project fall by the wayside again. Only 24 for more blocks, people! And, I might just be already planning my next EPP project. Maybe. Ok, definitely.

Comments

balloongal said…
Wow. You are the crafty lady. When I feel sick like that, I don't feel like doing any crafts. Give me DVDs or a book and that's it.

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…