Skip to main content

Sam's Car Quilt


It's things like this that make we worry I'm losing touch with reality.

So, on our trip, we stopped at IKEA. The kid's play area was full so it was me with three kids in tow browsing through the giant store. We get to the kid area and my kids start climbing into the display beds. Sam finds one with car bedding and falls in love with it. He starts saying things like, "Sam's car blankie. Car blankie for Sam. Buy car blankie for Sam." over and over and over again while cuddling up with this bedding.

OK, normal person's reaction. "Hmmmm. He really likes that car blanket. Do I have enough money in my IKEA budget to buy it today?" If the answer is yes, they buy it. End of story. If they don't, they promise to think about it for Christmas or birthday or just the next time they make it to IKEA. Then they drag their kicking and screaming child away from their heart's desire.

My reaction- "Hmmmmm. He really likes that car blanket. I'm pretty sure I have some fabric left over from the last time I made a car quilt. Sam, would you like me to make you a car blanket?" See, not exactly a normal reaction.

And then we got home from our trip. And it had been like a whole week and half since I'd used my sewing machine. I actually made it through 20 whole hours of unpacking and laundry before I started the car quilt. And, a week later, it's done.


DSC_0486

I think I need some taller quilt holders.


DSC_0490


In my defense, it is a really quick and simple quilt pattern. And, one that I'm willing to share. Anyone interested in a tutorial on the two different blocks and a list of ideas for possible variations? Speak now or I'm forever deleting the process pictures.


DSC_0493

Even with only 20 big 14" blocks, planning, cutting, sewing, basting, quilting and binding a 56" by 70" quilt in only a week is admittedly crazy. Especially when dealing with unpacking, settling back in routine and a sore throat that will not die. But, what can I say, it helped me think about something other than how my throat hurt.


DSC_0480


I am totally digging the backing and binding together. The yellow dashes remind me of painted road lines. Note to self: Make a blue, white and yellow quilt. Wait, I already am.  Note to self: Finish my awesome blue, white, (orange) and yellow quilt.


DSC_0492

DSC_0491

Scary fact #1- This quilt did not require a single trip to the fabric store. Top, backing, binding, thread all from what I had on hand- mostly leftovers from other quilts. I love having a fully stocked craft room.

Scary fact #2- I've been making a lot from stash- basically everything I possibly could. I haven't bought fabric just because I liked it in years. Everything's been bought for a specific purpose and mostly used up in that specific purpose. This quilt made me realize I may just have reached the limits of my stash. The back was my last big piece of fabric that is not a cheesy, multi-colored novelty print. I have nothing left in my red bin bigger than a fat quarter. In fact, I was pretty hard pressed to find a piece of fabric large enough to cut out the 4.5" by 14.5" pieces needed. Same with blues. And greens. And pretty much everything. My novelty bin is still pretty stuffed but most everything else is what others would just consider scraps. So, two resolutions- first, time to make some scrap quilts! and second, it's time to put some serious thought into building a good, solid, useful stash.

So, two blog posts in one day. You lucky readers. Don't get used to it!

Comments

balloongal said…
I love you, not normal person. Great car quilt.

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…