Skip to main content

What a Week!

It has been quite the week. Prepare for cute kid picture overload.

Last Tuesday morning, we picked up a rental car (since named Bucky and much loved by my kids), packed it up, and headed off for some family reunion fun- just me and the kids. Brendan had to stay behind and work. I was really rather scared by the idea of such a long drive without another adult to help me. Really scared. Like spending the night before crying that I didn't want to go alone scared. But, I decided I really wanted to see my family so the only choice was to put on my big girl panties and make it happen.


WooHoo! Road Trip!

The first day's drive (about four hours to Great-Grandma's house) gave me hope for the rest of the trip. There was no fighting and very little whining. Mostly they just zoned out, watched a movie and occasionally asked how much longer it was going to be. We stopped at IKEA along the way. AKA- the best place ever. I was looking for fabric but ended up with a doll bed, a side table, some kids plates and bowls, and free dinners for the kids.



The next day was a nine hour drive. For us. It only took my Grandma and Grandpa seven and a half hours.We only stopped three times but every time we did it was a big production. I had to buckle and unbuckle everyone, take everyone to the potty, refill everyone's water bottle, get out snacks, get out toys, find marker lids, and change the movie before we could get going again.


DSC_0333
Rest Stop in Utah

But, we finally made it. Just in time for hugs and hellos and dinner. We stayed at wonderful YMCA cabin about an hour and a half outside Denver. There was so much to see and do, so many relatives to play with. We all had a wonderful time.

There was the craft cabin which we visited twice. OK, maybe three times.

I snuck my own project into the craft cabin.


DSC_0348

DSC_0347

DSC_0340

DSC_0342

DSC_0344

I think Anna would have happily spent the entire trip in the craft cabin.

One morning, while everyone else hiked to a waterfall (I just didn't see Ellery and Sam making it without being carried most of the way), we headed to the camp library to make friendship bracelets.


DSC_0387

DSC_0388

Well, it turned out they were also having a presentation on dog sleds. The presenter brought along his team of dogs as well as two week old puppies. It pretty much made my kid's day.

DSC_0376

Sam was convinced we needed to take the puppy he held home with us.

DSC_0377

DSC_0382

DSC_0386

DSC_0385


We made a couple of trips to the nearby town to shop with Grandma and play in the park.


DSC_0361

DSC_0357

DSC_0358

DSC_0354

DSC_0355

DSC_0396

DSC_0404

DSC_0399

DSC_0393


We went to the ski resort with the intention of playing on the bounce house and bungee trampolines and other fun things. We wandered a bit, found everyone else, my brother rescued someone who passed out, we panned for gold.


DSC_0368


DSC_0372

And then it started to rain. They were still letting people jump on the trampolines, so we got in line. The kids got their harnesses on and were next to go. Then it started to thunder and lightning. That was that. They closed everything down. We spent a while wandering around, trying to stay dry and then eating really good pizza for lunch just hoping that the storm would pass. It didn't. That was maybe the low point of the trip. Crying, wet, cold, disappointed kids. But they got over it as soon as we got back to the cabin and got dry.

 One day, back at the YMCA, I discovered that there was also an Indian and Nepalese Heritage camp going on. And they had an Indian and Nepalese market that was open for anyone. Awesome. I went once and bought a shirt and little toy elephant for Anna, a felt ball for Sam and a purse for Ellery. Then I took my mom back. That time Sam got another ball, Ellery got an elephant and a ball and Anna got a shirt and skirt from me and a doll from my mom. The five dollar shirt and skirt turned out to be the best five dollars I have ever spent. Anna loves it with an unholy passion.


Indian Princess

As girly as it gets.

DSC_0421

DSC_0416

She spent the whole rest of the day playing Indian Princess. Even during the family kickball game.


DSC_0427

DSC_0425

DSC_0430

DSC_0432


All in all, it was a wonderful trip. There are so many more pictures I wish I had taken- my kids having a blast in the pool, Anna and I working on her second project at the craft cabin, any picture of me and the kids. But, mostly I wish I had gotten more pictures with family- cuddling up to Grandma, playing with cousins, playing princesses with my cousins. I guess I was just too busy getting juice, picking up after them and making sure no one drowned. I guess I'll just have to happy with the pictures I did manage to get. At least, until the next family reunion.


DSC_0337

DSC_0408

Early morning cousin craft party.

DSC_0439


Comments

balloongal said…
This is a great post. I'm so glad to read about your trip.

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…