Skip to main content

WIP Crisis



I've hit my standard crisis. I'm about 2/3 of the way through a project and I'm no longer sure I even like it. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? I think I get this way with every single project.




I've got 60 scrappy sawtooth stars done and they're just not singing to me. I can't even really put my finger on it. Are they not contrasty enough? Too contrasty? Too busy? Too calm? Too much white? Should I have even included black? I like each block individually but together they're all killing me. All I know is they look almost nothing like the inspiration quilt.

So, now I've got a big decision to make. Do I chalk it up to mid-project blahs and work through it? Or, do I try and fix it?

Not that I'm really sure how to fix it. Maybe some sashing to try and let each block shine on it's own instead of being overwhelmed by the blocks next to it?


Or,  do I take out all the drab and boring, neutral blocks and only work with the high-contrast bright ones?



That's a lot more like the inspiration. But, that tosses out most of the 60 blocks I've already made. I'd almost be starting over. And what do I do with those blocks. Just throw them away? Make a quick quilt for charity from them? Toss them into my scrap pile?




And then there's these blocks. My absolute favorite out of all sixty blocks. Just a few little blocks I did from three fabrics instead of two. Just a little something to toss in with all the others for a little additional interest. Well, they're my favorite. I want to kiss them. Part of me wants to toss out the other 56 blocks and start over with just these four blocks. A fun, soft and sweet, fussy-cut, beautiful three color sawtooth star masterpiece of a kids quilt.

Help! I don't know what to do! Do I just buckle down and keep going with what I have? Do I add sashing? Do I split it up into three different projects (the brights, the drabs and the 3 color blocks)? Do I toss it onto the UFO pile and start a completely new quilt instead? Please comment and tell me what you think I should do!

Comments

Anne said…
I'm super behind on my blog reading, but this is such a common occurrence for me!

Here are some ideas to try:
Step away from the quilt, and don't look at it for a couple days. (You may have already done this. :D) Then with a fresh mind, try to think what you want the final quilt to look like. What type of feeling do you want the quilt to have? Who and what is it for? How does that affect the feeling you're going for?
For instance: Let's say you want a bright, and vibrant quilt. It's for a teenager going through some troubled times and you want to give her a bright, happy quilt. In which case I'd say, take what you've got and GO for it!
On the other hand, maybe you want a quilt that works well with your decor, but still has a lot of visual interest. Then I'd go for the lighter blocks. Calm quilt? Use sashing, etc. You get the drift. :)
If it's for you though, then go with the blocks you love, and take the rest and make a charity/baby quilt and gift it!

That is all to say, any of your combinations work well, but they definitely have different feels to them. Identify what you're going for, and you can pick accordingly!

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…