Skip to main content

A Nice and Accurate Accounting


Every once in a great while someone will say something to me along the lines of, "It must be amazing to be you! You're so creative and talented. You make such wonderful things." Most of the time I answer with a quiet, polite "Thank you." Sometimes I answer truthfully- "Well, actually it's a bit crazy and overwhelming." They never believe me.

Would you like to see just how crazy and overwhelming my little hobbies can be? I thought I'd share my current list of projects.

Quilty Projects-

1. My hand-pieced star quilt. This one's been waiting since early September for me to make it through Christmas, buy batting and backing fabric, and decide how I want to quilt it. Well, I bought backing fabric and batting. I used the batting for something more important. I made it through Christmas. I bought more batting. I'm still trying to decide how to quilt it. Maybe I should just baste it and hope inspiration strikes while I'm crawling all over it, sticking pins in it for hours.

2. Scrappy Sawtooth Stars. On hold until I decide what to do with them. It could be a while.

3. Scrapbuster blocks.


On hold until I can gather the enthusiasm to cut hundreds more 1.5" squares. I don't mind sewing them up, but the hours and hours of cutting is soul-sucking.

4. Blocks from block exchanges at Quilt Guild. I should really do something with these. Especially since the whole thing was my idea in the first place.

5. A super-secret commission quilt. Have supplies- lack enthusiasm. I'll find it soon, hopefully.

6. Hand-quilted baby boy quilt. It's been sitting around waiting for a paycheck and a new craft budget so I could buy binding.


Bindings now been bought, cut, pressed and and wrapped around a soda bottle to keep it nice and neat (thanks to a great tip from one of the Quilt Guild ladies). I'll get around to attaching it and sewing it down eventually.

7. Distraction #1. With all these other projects, why not start a new one? One night I got obsessed with the idea of a pink and navy quilt. Obsessed, I tell you. There was just no letting it go until I made a couple of test blocks. The problem? I've been so good at working from my stash that it's kind of been reduced to scraps and really weird novelty prints. And, I'm sick of it. I'm ready to branch out from these same colors and prints that I've been using for years now. No navy in the stash what so ever. Only small scraps of pink. So, I bought just enough fabric to do a few blocks.



Aren't they absolutely lovely? I'm planning this as a slow, long-term project. I'll buy pinks, navys, and greys only when I see ones I really love. Cut them, throw them in a shoebox and add a few squares at  a time in between other projects. There's no rush. No deadline. Not even an intended use for this project. It gets done when it gets done.

8. Distraction #2. Sunday I pulled out my Valentine's Day Wallhanging and hung it up in the living room. I immediately thought- "That would make a cute quilt for a baby girl." And, I almost immediately started cutting out squares.


I've got the squares for the heart all cut out. Now I just need to cut out the significantly more in number background squares. And, this is where I'm in danger of losing momentum. It's a lot of digging through low volume scrap bins and cutting out one square at a time. Once again, soul-sucking.

9. Anna and Ellery's quilting projects. Yeah, I should really work on those with them.

10. I agreed to swap some potholders with a quilty friend. I can't forget to actually start those.

11. EPP Flower Garden quilt. I kind of hate how pastel it is. I'm considering starting over with a bolder color palette. Maybe I'll make the few flowers I have into a pillow or cushion for the girl's room first.

I'm also considering starting a new quilt for my own bed. Something scrappy in a desperate bid to use up some scrap bins. And, if I'm going to do any quilts for Christmas this year, I should start planning now.

Yarny Projects-

1. Still working on unbreakable Christmas tree ornaments. If you count carrying the bag that they are in around occasionally as working on them.

2. A baby viking hat for a friend.


Stalled because I'm sure it's way too big. Sam can almost wear it. But, it's the smallest size in the pattern. So, I'm going to have to do some tinkering with it. Blah.

3. I've promised to knit a pair of gloves for a friend's husband. I refer to him as Huge Hands Han from now on. I've got a pattern I can adapt to fit him. Now I just need yarn. Harder than you would think because no one sells good yarn around here anymore.

4. I bought yarn months ago for a cardigan for Ellery. I should do something with that someday.

I'd also like to make a cardigan for myself someday. I think I've got a pattern picked out. But, enough good yarn to make a sweater to fit me is not going to be cheap. Also, no one sells good yarn around here anymore.

Other crafties-

1. The girls talked me into buying some knit fabric to make nightgowns for them. It won't take long once I get started. But, drafting the pattern, even for something simple just doesn't sound fun. And I'm too cheap to buy a pattern when I do have the ability to draft my own simple pattern. And I'd have to find my ballpoint needles. They could be anywhere.

2. My project life album from last year. Still chugging along. I'm almost to the end of the photos I have printed- about July of last year. That means another six months of photos to print before I can continue on. Yeah, that's not going to be cheap.

3. I've been meaning to make Sam a snazzy vest to wear to church for almost a year now. Maybe for Easter.

4. I'd like to get more into sewing clothing. Especially for myself. I'm currently obsessing over this pattern and Ellen Mason's Dress + Cardigan project  (go check out her Pinterest Dress + Cardigan board- it's amazing)  and the book Alabama Studio Sewing + Design. I'm just too much of a chicken to actually start anything yet. But, I'm picturing a pretty dress with a matching cardigan and matching jewelry- all of which I've made. I'm just afraid of it all looking homemade and frumpy rather than the handmade, elegant outfit I have in mind.

So, that's a little look into the clutter of my creative mind. All the projects and ideas and stray hairs. Granted, this is a little worse than normal. My husband's been doing a musical. So, I've had plenty of long lonely evenings after the kids are in bed to obsess and plan and search Pinterest and start new projects on a whim. We're in the home stretch now. Photos tonight, performances Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, matinee and breaking down the set on Sunday. I'm going to try and take advantage of this last lonely week and the wretched gloomy weather and get some of these projects marked off my list.


Comments

balloongal said…
You're still amazing.

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…