Skip to main content

Selfish Crafting


I know, I know- You've all been waiting desperately to hear what I decided to do with the Sawtooth Star blocks, haven't you? Sorry to leave you hanging like that. I know what it's like to lie awake at night, wondering "What is she going to do?" I apologize for any stress and tears I have caused. Just kidding, I know no one but me really cares. But, I did make a decision. I decided to walk away from it for a little while. I also put my finger on exactly what it is I didn't like about them. It's all the fabric with white backgrounds. No matter how fun or colorful the print on them, the white was shining through and I just don't like it. So, I will probably be dividing the stack into two piles- blocks without any white background fabric and blocks with. The blocks with, I'll probably make into a quick baby quilt. The pitifully small blocks without pile will be the beginning of another quilt. There's no rush, after all- no person or event I was making this quilt for. It's just for me and my enjoyment, so I might as well take the time to make sure it is exactly what I wanted. I'm just not ready to physically divide up the blocks and see how few remain. And go through all the pre-cut fabric pulling out white background fabrics. It's just depressing. So, I'm working on other things.

That's the joy of January crafting. There are no deadlines. No one else's tastes and preferences to consider. Just me, making whatever the heck I want to make. It's wonderful.

I'm working on some new truly unbreakable Christmas tree ornaments. Just because I want to and because Sam managed to break quite a few of our unbreakable ornaments this year.



The pattern is here at Attic24.

I'm also working on getting all my pictures from last year printed in an album. But, I wanted to do a little something more than just sticking them in a photo album. In 20 years, I want to be able to remember who exactly that neighbor in the photo was and what in the heck we were doing. I wanted captions and labels. But, not a scrapbook. I'm definitely not adding scrapbooking to my list of crafty hobbies. So, I did some looking around and found Project Life. I used my Michael's coupons and bought the components one at a time. The binder one week, plastic photo pages the next, and finally the box of printed cards perfect for adding captions.



Definitely more expensive than a standard photo album, even with the 40% coupons. But, I'm really enjoying doing it. It's really quick and easy to put together. And I feel like it's sturdier than a standard photo album. I don't cringe whenever the kids want to look at it. And, believe me, they want to look at it. All the time. My goal is to get last year finished up (I'm already past Easter) and then continue forward. Every month, I'll print all the pictures from that month and spend an hour or so getting them all labeled and in the album.

I'm also working on a quilt. Because, of course, there always has to be a quilting project.


When I couldn't take the star blocks any longer, I looked around the craft room for some other unfinished project to work on instead. I found a stack of squares left over from this quilt. I had set them aside in the hopes of making myself a similar quilt sometime. Well, it had been a year and they were untouched. Time to give up on the vision of a queen size quilt and put something smaller together instead. I took out anything too girly, added a few stash and new fabrics, and had a finished baby quilt top in about a week. Not that there's any specific baby that this if for. No, I made this quilt for a very specific purpose. It's a practice quilt. I'm going to hand quilt it!

I hand-quilted two quilts before- one and two. I almost don't count those, though. I had no idea what I was doing on the first. Or the second, really. I didn't attempt any sort of fancy rocking stitch. Just some embroidery style stab stitching. They're both whole cloth quilts rather than pieced. I love them both of course (and those sweet, sweet babies pictured on them) but I am getting seriously excited about hand quilting this one. I've been reading tutorials and watching videos (seriously, Sarah Fielke makes me want to never machine quilt again). I've got my size 8 Perle cotton and Crewel needle. I got my quilt all basted and tried out a rocking stitch last night. Yeah, my stitches look like I might be drunk. I've already learned some important lessons. Like, pin basting was definitely not a good idea. I am enjoying it, though.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…