I went through the same thing I do at the end of every school year- the giddiness of packing away the school uniforms swiftly followed by the "What are they going to wear now?" panic. You'd think I would learn and prepare ahead of time. Oh well.
Money's tight this month so instead of rushing to Target, I rushed to the craft room and this is what I came up with.
Ellery had a ton of bright, patterned pieces but was in desperate need of some simple, plain pieces to pair them with. I used the scraps from her Geranium School Dress to make her a pair of simple linen shorts. I was way nervous about drafting the pattern but they turned out perfect. I used this tutorial for the pockets (she loves that I used a pink flowered fabric for the inside) and this tutorial for a flat front.
Next I chopped the top off of the bigger of these two dresses, added an elastic waistband and made the skirt/petticoat thing Anna is wearing. I meant it to be a little knee-length slip for Ellery to wear under dresses and skirts that were either a little too see-through or short. But I didn't measure and instead of knee-length, it's ankle-length on her. It doesn't matter. They both love it and have taken to wearing it with just about everything.
Finally I pulled out the Geranium dress pattern again. This makes Geraniums #5 and #6. This time I made the tunic length with cap sleeves and piping just at the bottom of the bodice. My first time ever sewing piping! Rae's tutorial helped immensely. These were less the result of necessity and more the result of my favorite fabric store's moving sale.
I'm not done yet. I've got some jeans to turn into shorts for Ellery, another petticoat to make so they stop fighting over this one, maybe some shorts for Anna, some new pajamas and I have got to make something for Sam. Anything, really. He really wants to join in on all the made by mama and photo shoot fun.