Skip to main content

Multi-Craftual


I know- long time, no post. I just haven't been feeling it lately. When I think about it I get all mopey about followers and comments and the lack thereof. But, I've decided I don't care. So what if no one reads my blog but me and my mom. We're who I write it for anyway. It's come in handy so many times. It's a great source for answering questions like "What did I make them the last time we had their name for Christmas?", "What yarn did I use for that project?" and "How did I survive having newborns?" So, I'm going to keep writing it. Hopefully at least once a week. A lot of the day to day project starting and cute kid pictures have moved over to Instagram. If you're interested in that kind of stuff you can follow me there.

Some other business- I put two of my recently made baby quilts up for sale on Etsy. Go see them.

It's been a pretty laid back summer so far. I've been making a lot of stuff, as usual.

I just finished a shirt for myself.


I absolutely love it. I was inspired by this and this. I drafted my own pattern using a shirt that fit well and used the leftover fabric from my purple dress. So, I'm counting this shirt as costing nothing. Well, nothing except hours and hours of my time.


I used knowledge gained from Alabama Studio Sewing + Design by Natalie Chanin to then work some negative reverse applique on the bodice. I cheated and machine sewed the seams. I did hand fell the long front seams just because I loved the look. I hand bound the neckline using Cretan Stitch.


I love almost everything about this shirt. I love the color and softness of the fabric. I adore the hand stitching. It fits perfectly. It's flattering. The only thing I don't like is an awkward seam right down the center of the belly that I just couldn't avoid with the amount of leftover fabric I had. Oh well.  I will definitely be using the pattern to make at least another one. Maybe even a dress.

More knit fabric has already made it's way into my crafty room. I'm planning a couple of nightgowns and some shorts for the girls and either a skirt or shawl for myself.

I've got way too many other projects going on as well.


Work on my Grandfather's Flower Garden quilt slowed down while I was making the shirt. I do have these 22 blocks all sewn together.


And 9 more blocks ready to add.


I've been slowly working on some pink, navy and grey Sawtooth Stars (the crafty room is the hottest room in the house). The goal is enough for a twin size quilt for the girls to fight over. I've just bought and cut some new fabrics and just need to get busy sewing (early in the morning or late at night because that's the only time I can stand it right now!).


I've also been occasionally working on this big piece of patchwork. Basically, I went through my scrap bins and cut hundreds of 2.5" squares. Whenever I'm not sure what else to work on or just have a few minutes to spare, I piece them together with no rhyme or reason. It's either going to be a horrible hot mess or a fantastic hot mess. That piece if 32" by 64", contains 512 2" squares and has taken me months. I'm shooting for queen size so this one is going to take a long, long time.

I've also got some yarny projects going on- because who doesn't want a lap full of wool in 100 degree weather?


One and a half gloves commissioned for a very large pair of hands. We've been calling them The Huge Hands Hans gloves. Yes, we watch entirely too much Phineas and Ferb.


A mini-mania scarf for myself. To be honest, I'm kind of losing my enthusiasm for this one. Blah. I briefly flirted with the idea of crocheting it instead. But, I think it's headed for a tote bag in the garage. Maybe I'll dig it out and order some fun mini skeins for it once the weather starts getting colder. 

Even with all that going on- even after cataloging and photographing them all yesterday afternoon- even after swearing no new projects until I get most of these finished- I started a new project last night. 



What can I say? I am weak. I had a headache. I was too whiny to deal with the heat in the crafty room. I just wanted to sit and knit without fussing with double-pointed needles or counting stitches. None of my projects was quite right. Of course, it didn't take me too long to find one that was. I'm using the yarn left over from Ellery's sweater and my plan is to just keep knitting until I run out. We'll just have to see whether I end up with a kerchief or an oversized shawl. I'm guessing somewhere in between.

Comments

Karen Hatfield said…
Your tshirt is adorable and so are your hexi flowers. plus 3 other projects (at least!) lol... thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one with (way too) many partially completed projects going on at once... and oh yes I desperately want to start more tooo! great progress thanks for sharing :)
Linda said…
Just come over from your Flickr photo of your Design Wall. I thought the stars were the intended border for your postage quilt. I still think large stars would make an awesome border - a really dramatic contrast, it would be fabulous! Are you sewing your 2.5" squares into 16 patches and then joining them? Lovely post. Thanks for sharing.
Jenny said…
Don't worry, Bean! My mom and I faithfully read your blog posts and bask in your crafty wonderfulness. Keep the posts coming! :-)
-Jenny Friend
Sarah Camilla said…
I echo Jenny's comment from above. I often check to see what fabulous new idea has developed from your crafty mind.
Missing you at the OPL!
Sarah

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…