Skip to main content

Mama's Got A Brand New Bag


A big trip just wouldn't be the same without an insane, last-minute craft project, right? It seems like I always come up with something at the last minute that I absolutely must make before the trip. For my family's big trip this summer, I thought it was going to be binding the giant t-shirt quilt but I actually finished that with a few days to spare. So, what did I do? I decided I absolutely had to have a new bag for the trip. Not just any bag. It had to be a Super Tote. A Super Tote in all it's interfaced, canvas layered, elastic pocketed, zippered glory. So along with all the packing and cleaning trip preparations, I made one.


On Wednesday night, I traced all the pattern pieces onto freezer paper and cut them out. On Thursday, I cut out all the many, many pieces and started sewing the straps and front pocketed panel. On Friday, I did all the rest of the sewing. I finished about 9:30 that evening and immediately packed it with all my trip necessities. On Saturday morning, we left.






I absolutely adore it. I used a wool blend suiting for the gussets. Architextures Crosshatch leftover from the backing of the t-shirt quilt for the straps and zipper flap. The lovely teal floral came from JoAnn Fabrics. As did the Cloud 9 Organic Cotton I used for the lining and pockets.


I love the zipper flap. First for how snazzy it looks all zipped up. Second for how neatly it folds out of the way when unzipped.


I did make a couple of simple modifications. I only made one set of elasticized pockets. The other set is just plain flat pockets. And I added a D ring to the front pocket so I could clip my keys to it and avoid losing them down in the bottom of the bag.


It was the perfect trip bag. Plenty of room for my camera, knitting, driving directions, snacks, water bottle, and wallet.


But, I think it may be a little too huge for everyday use. I don't need to carry around much kid debris anymore- no more diapers or bottles or spare changes of clothes. It's just my wallet, sunglasses, and a little notebook floating around in this big bag right now. So, I am of course, thinking of making another one. Maybe printing out the pattern pieces at something like 80% and making a Less-than-super Tote. Something still big enough to throw a knitting project into but not so huge that I could lose a book in the bottom of it. Maybe using this amazing fabric collection? It's starting to sound like a plan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…