Skip to main content

Handmade Christmas Wrap-Up


I can't believe Christmas is over. Between the whole family getting the flu, school programs, 3/5ths of the family in a play and traveling, I feel like I just missed so much of the Christmas season. I missed singing the Christmas carols in church almost completely. We never made and decorated sugar cookies. We only watched The Muppet Christmas Carol three times. I never once had hot cocoa with marshmallows and a candy cane while sitting next to the Christmas tree. But, the parts of Christmas I did catch in between the coughing, the rehearsals, and the packing were pretty amazing. So I guess I can't complain.

But, Christmas can't truly be over until I've done a round-up of the handmade presents from this year. Otherwise by the time next Christmas rolls around I will have forgotten who I gave what.

You've already seen the commissioned quilt and the stockings. You've also already seen Anna's handmade gift- the Putnam County Quilt.



She loved it. She has slept with it every night since.

Ellery's handmade gift this year was a little purse.




Specifically the 241 Tote from Noodlehead made at 75% of the original size. She was way more excited about the LipSmackers I tucked inside. But it has made a couple of trips to the store with us with her loudly proclaiming, "Look, it's like I'm a grown-up."


Sam got three pairs of much needed flannel pajama bottoms. His old ones were closer to his knees that his ankles. He particularly loves the ones he is wearing in this photo- they glow in the dark.

I know. I know, my handmade gifts for the kids this year are a little unbalanced. An intricate, hand-quilted quilt I spent the entire year working on versus a purse and pajama bottoms that took a day each. But, it's like birthday parties. My kids know I can only handle one big birthday party a year. So, they take turns. Last year Ellery got the big party. This year it will be Sam. This year Anna got the big handmade gift. Next year it will be Ellery. It's how I stay sane.

Let's see, what else did I make this year?


My mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law each got a snuggle-up on the couch sized quilt.




Teals and gray for my MIL. It turned out to be such a calm and relaxing color combination. I love it.

I didn't get any other pictures of the other quilt before it got packed away to head back home. It's just basic patchwork- gray and every floral print I had.


My mom got a Super Tote. I love this bag pattern. The second definitely went together faster than the first. 



I've got more Super Tote's planned. Like I said- I love this pattern.

Well, that's it. Everything I made for Christmas. Pretty impressive, huh? There are a couple of things I still need to finish up, but not much. This year's goal (like every year) is to start sooner. That way I don't have my own little one-woman Christmas sweatshop going in December.

But, as for now- now, I've got an extreme case of post-Christmas, post-sickness, post-travel "Start-all-the-projects-itis". My sewing machine and I have been reunited. I've got Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket. There are no deadlines. I can sew whatever the heck I want!


I may have spent yesterday afternoon cutting fabric for three new quilts. Ok, I totally spent yesterday afternoon cutting fabric for three new quilts. More details as I get started on them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…