Skip to main content

Quilts to Donate


I never thought I would made quilts to donate to a hospital. I don't know why not. Maybe I thought there were things that would be more necessary for someone in a hospital. Maybe because quilts and color and pattern are such a personal thing and the odds of the quilt ending up with a person who truly loved it were slim. Maybe I just couldn't see spending that much time on something just to give it away. Probably all of the above.

But two things have changed my mind.

Last summer my sweet little Ellery broke her arm. She had to have surgery to place some pins in her arms. She was five and hurting and terrified. When she checked in to the hospital, she found a quilt waiting for her on her bed. And it helped, it really did. She loved it then and she still sleeps with every night.

Not the best day.


(That's it- folded over so just the back is showing.)

"Anna, come here and be my servant."

(And the top with both girls sitting on it.)

The girl's school requires it's students to do a service project every summer. Ellery decided soon after starting first grade that she wanted to make a quilt to donate to the hospital as her service project. She talked Anna into doing one for her service project too.

And then this April my youngest brother died. Death is often cruel but this one seemed especially tragic. Alex died only two months from finishing his residency in Pediatrics, three weeks from his 29th birthday, and a week from the due date of his second child. We don't know what caused his death and probably never will.

He was 9 when I moved 1500 miles away to go to college. I missed so much.


I miss you, baby brother.

I'm working through all the grief and guilt by, well, working. Just trying to stay busy. I decided my kids have enough quilts for right now. I rescued some abandoned blocks meant for them from the shelf of shame, added to them and made them into quilts to donate to the Children's Hospital that Alex was working at. Anna and Ellery have decided that their quilts are going to go there as well. I can't help kids the way Alex did. But, I now know something as simple as a quilt waiting for them on a hospital bed can make a huge difference for a kid who is hurt and scared.

 The girly one-





And the not-so-girly one-




I'll probably make a few more to throw in the box while I am helping the girls with theirs. We'll see what other priorities arise. I do think I'd like to spend every April making a few quilts for the Children's Hospital.

Comments

Linda said…
Your quilts are beautiful and will be cherished by the children who receive them. I am very sorry to learn of your loss,sudden death especially in one so young is so hard to deal with. We lost our son when he was 21 so I understand a little about your journey. I certainly found quilting helped me get through those hard times of raw grief and it still does today over 18 years later. In fact I took up quilting after Chris died and whilst I was planning, cutting and sewing I could channel those sad thoughts into something positive. I hope you can take comfort from your quilting too.

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…