Skip to main content

Day #1


Things are not great, my friends. In the words of my daughters, "2015 sucks. Like, really- 2015 is the worst year ever."

In April,  my youngest brother died unexpectedly. In June, my mother-in-law died suddenly. A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting on the floor of my closet sobbing- like you do sometimes. Sam came in and said, "Oh no. Did another relative die?" It's been a lot for all of us to handle.

And, in an effort to move us closer to family, my husband is job hunting. It's a bit like being kicked in the teeth repeatedly. He'll find a job posting he's more than qualified for. We'll check out the town and the schools and distance to the nearest family member. We'll think that this is definitely somewhere we could live. He'll apply. And then nothing. Not even a call for an interview. Just an email weeks later that they've filled the position. It's so frustrating and disheartening.

And then there are the little things that normally I could handle just fine. Sam had his tonsils out over a week ago. He's to the point now that he's fine most of the day. But, he's still waking up in the middle of the night and the first thing in the morning, sobbing and hysterical because he's in pain. On top of all the grief and frustration, it's so difficult to see my baby in pain.

All of this has left me struggling. I feel like I've lost all sense of safety, my optimism, my joy. It would be so easy to give up. To just stop getting out of bed in the morning.

But, I don't want to do that. I want to find joy in life. I know it's there, even when sucky things just keep happening. So, I'm making a decision to look for the happiness in life. I'm going to do the 100 happy days challenge. Everyday on Instagram, I'll be posting one thing that makes me happy. I'll try and remember to do a weekly list here as well for those who don't Instagram.

So, here goes Day #1-


Ponyopolis. Built this morning by my kids using blocks made for them by my dad. Definitely a reason to be happy. So many good memories here, as well, of the amazing block set he made for us when we were kids. Seriously, best block set ever. We could build all the way to the ceiling with it.

Comments

Steffy said…
I feel ya. That's totally how 2014 was for our family. Deaths, divorces, unemployment, sickness! It's just rude to get everything all at the same time. You can totally do it and find the happy though! We love you guys, hang in there!
balloongal said…
Please do post here. I don't do instagram and I'd like to follow your happiness. Are you showing the pictures to the kids so they can see that there are things to be happy about, too?

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…