Skip to main content

A Day of Reckoning


I finished the last bit of binding on my newest quilt last night. It should be a moment of joy and gladness, right? Nope. It's a moment of fear and sadness, folks. All because of this-


Terrifying, isn't it? Let's take a closer look.


((shudder))

About a year ago, I was just starting a new quilt. I used an unfamiliar iron at a sew day or retreat or something. And it vomited rusty, filthy water onto my quilt block. It would have maybe taken half an hour to unpick a couple of seams and replace those two dirty squares of fabric. Half an hour, use a different iron and I would have been done with it. No more fear. No more anxiety. But, I'm not the sort of person to confront my problems head on. I'm the kind of person who likes to ignore my problems and hope that they go away. Hasn't worked for me ever but I'm not ready to give up on the strategy yet. I thought, "I'm sure that will wash out." and tossed it onto the small stack of finished blocks.

I had another chance to fix the problem when it was time to sew all the blocks together. I put them all up on my design wall. Arranged and rearranged them. I remembered the iron vomit, stared at it for awhile, and thought, "I'm sure that will wash out." I left it in the quilt. Sure, I took out another block that I didn't think had enough contrast and made a replacement block for it but I left the potentially stained block. It would have taken maybe an hour to make another block. I had fabric. I had time. I am an idiot.

Speaking of being an idiot, who commits to hand quilting a quilt that may already be stained? Me. Instead of spending a day quickly machine quilting it, I choose to spend two weeks quilting it by hand- staring at that iron vomit the entire time and thinking, "I'm sure that will wash it, And if it doesn't, it's for my kid, anyway. She probably stain it with something grosser the day I give it to her."

So, here I am. The quilt I have been working on for a year (on and off) is in the washer. I pre-treated, I threw in color catchers (not for the stain but because I always do when washing a quilt for the first time), I added OxyClean. Lots of OxyClean. Now there is nothing to do but anxiously wait and see if it actually does wash out. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comments

Jessica said…
you're not an idiot. your quilt has a story, and a good one. Now all it needs is to be cuddled and loved. <3
Jessica said…
(p.s. thanks for posting about your blog post on ig, I never read blogs anymore, but I'm glad I took the time today. I miss it too)
Jenny said…
I don't think you're an idiot, either! How did it wash up?
Jenny said…
I don't think you're an idiot, either! How did it wash up?

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…