Skip to main content

My Latest Obsession


 I blame Mason-Dixon Knitting and their Single Sock Knit-along. And my friend, Rachel and her new knitting podcast- Purls Before Swine. There's only so much awesome sock knitting you can see before you just have to join in.


 Here's the thing about socks- they are small and easily portable. Which makes them just about the absolute perfect summertime/travel knitting. Added bonus- handmade socks are totally soft and comfy.

My travel sock kniting was all made possible by Heather (aka sew4mysanity). The night before we left, I realized I did not have the right size needle. She happened to be having a studio sale the next morning and sold me some Addi Turbo needles in the right size on our way out of town. Also, the Two at a Time Sock Bag she made for me a few years ago was absolutely indispensable, especially when it came time to knit those stripey socks. I dragged it everywhere with me for 4,000 miles and it held everything I needed all neat and organized.


 I cast on my first pair immediately and knit all the way to Arkansas. The yarn is Malabrigo Sock in Arco Iris. Like all variegated yarn, I liked it better in the skein than I did all knit up. But, it matched a lot of the landscape we were driving through- especially Wyoming and Colorado. It's nice that they'll always have that association. I finished the first sock and started the second while staying with my mom and dad. I finished the second while visiting my husband's grandmother in Illinois.


Details on Ravelry.


 (They're not different lengths. It's just hard to take a good picture of your own feet.)

As we left Illinois to start the long drive home, I cast on my second pair. This one from an amazing skein of Zauberball I found in a surprisingly awesome small town yarn store. Why can't my small town have a surprisingly awesome yarn store?


(Once again, the heels are not different sizes- one's just folded up weird because it's surprisingly hard to take a good picture of your own feet.)


Details on Ravelry.

I finished the first sock right before we got home. So, now I know- I can finish a sock in two and a half days but only if there is absolutely nothing else to do. The second sock took me a week in between unpacking, loads of laundry, trips to the store, trips to the library, reading and generally keeping my kids alive.

I'm not sure how long this sock knitting jag is going to last. I'm already starting to veer towards other things to knit with sock yarn.


I already started a Cozy Memories Blanket. And a ZickZack Scarf, a Mini Mania Scarf, and a Fort Tryon Wrap have caught my eye. Actually, I don't know how long I'll be able to resist the siren song of that Fort Tryon wrap. I've got plenty of new sock yarn from the trip which would be just perfect.


Must resist buying new patterns. Must resist casting on something else new. Must resist.

Ah, why not?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momma's Got a (kind-of, sorta) Brand New Bag

I must be some sort of sadist. It seems the work and stress of getting a family of five all packed and ready for a big trip isn't enough for me. It's becoming tradition to also try and make myself a new complicated bag right before we leave. There was the Supertote before Disneyland. This time around it was the a messenger bag right before a 4,000 mile road trip.



(Photography and photo styling by my 10 year old, Anna.)

 There was really no choice, though. My everyday Supertote is a year and a half old. It was definitely looking it. The handles were all frayed. One of the magnetic snaps had ripped out. It was dirty. It just would not do. I tried stores. Everything was too big, too small, too strappy, not strappy enough, too ugly, or too expensive. I guess making my own bags has made me pretty dang picky when it comes to purses.

This one, though. This one is pretty much the prefect size, the perfect strap, the perfect fabric, and plenty of pockets.




Pattern- Campfire Messenger B…

Something A Little Different

If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that for my birthday this week, I got a weaving loom of my very own. Specifically, a 15" Cricket Loom. There was some major happy dancing involved.


Feeling a little nervous. #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06am PDT

Now what do I do with it? #cricketloom #happybirthdaytome A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41am PDT

WooHoo! Thank goodness for the many YouTube videos which got me here! A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39am PDT
I spent all morning on my birthday watching YouTube instructional videos, putting it together, getting it warped, and starting my very first handwoven scarf using bits and pieces of yarn leftover from other projects.

Today I finished it.






Sure, it's got some issues. The edges are a bit wonky. The fringe went all fuzzy when I washed it. But, I love it. I love how thin and drap…

Ellery's Baptism and the First Day of School

Exciting times around our household in the past week. This Saturday, Ellery was baptized.


Almost time to go! #baptismday #eightisgreat A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:10am PDT






And after. It took two tries-her toe popped up. #baptismday #eightisgreat #familiesareforever A photo posted by trinasdoings (@trinasdoings) on Sep 3, 2016 at 1:03pm PDT

She was so happy and excited. It was a great day.

And then, today, the kids finally started school! Hallelujah!


The local school district went back to school like two and a half weeks ago. We've all been anxiously waiting for their charter school to start.



First grade for this guy and an empty house for me. Every summer I let his hair grow wild so that I can enjoy his curls. I was all ready to give him his standard back to school haircut until we went to meet his teacher. She went into raptures over his curls. So, they stayed. We'll see how long they last now that he has to face a squirt bottle and a bru…